Android Widget Mixup?

Hi folks!

My Beeminder workflow involves lots of Android Beeminder widgets. While I used to put them all on one screen (*Lots* of Android widgets on one screen), in early 2017 I switched to a logical grouping, where the widgets are right next to an applicable app. I.e. the one measuring my Twitter time is right next to my Twitter app, so I can see my goal before clicking into it.

(I love this and want to write more about it, but first…)

This worked amazingly for me for all of 2017, until I replaced my Android phone this month. I have been setting my new phone up up rather slowly, and I noticed that I seemed to have the wrong Android widget on the screen, and I chalked it up to setting my phone up on the bus before my coffee, so I started taking screenshots after I set up each thing. It’s not me setting them up wrong – my widgets are not working right. They’re changing which goal they point to, sometimes they don’t refresh for 7+ hours after the goal changes in the Beeminder app, and sometimes when they change what goal they’re pointing to, they show both goal titles!

For a few more days, I have both phones. I know I am running the latest Beeminder version on both phones. I have never seen this on my Nexus 5X, and I have seen it all week on my Pixel 2. I am running Android 8 on both devices. I do not know if I have set up new widgets on Android 8 on my 5X, rather than just continue to use the old ones. I have been using the stock launchers on both devices.

If anyone has any insight, if anyone has heard of widget issues on Android 8 or on the Pixel 2 or whatever fancy launcher Google uses for it, or if anyone has had a similar problem with Beeminder, please let me know. Thanks!

2 Likes

There have been numerous reports that the first boot after the Android 8.1 is “weird”. I rebooted my phone, and things were fine for a few hours, but then I noticed the widget mixup happening again!

1 Like

I responded to the beemail about this and @dreev asked if I would post it in the thread, so here it is:

I don’t know about his specific problem (and I mostly use the other android
widget, the list one) but I’ve definitely cleared the app’s data fully and
reinstalled at some point to work around something (although this was a
while ago and I don’t remember what).

I think one issue was related to goal archiving / slug changing not being reflected correctly, although it’s been a while since I’ve seen that so possibly it’s resolved or I was just doing something incorrectly.

(As an android widget related side note, I think I would actually prefer to use a big collection of the individual ones, since then I could sort them. But I can’t get them to display reasonably on my home screen (which is 6x7, so a lot of widgets bug out a little. e.g. bunch of them will work correctly eventually but require more space to placed initially than they do when being resized).)

I bet slug changing breaks the widget!

Can you explain the last paragraph a little more? Maybe a screenshot might
help?

Adam

1 Like

The widget ends up looking like this:

Which is 1x2, which is what the widget asks for. But it doesn’t look quite right.

1 Like

Wow! Is that what happens when you drag the widget out, or is that after a
resizing? What device do you have? Do you use the stock launcher on it or
something special?

Galaxy s5, trebuchet, that screenshot is with it set to a 7x6 grid. Setting it to a 7x7 grid makes it look a little better (they ask for 2x2 and are a little squarer) but still not quite what I wanted. That’s what I get when I drag the widget out.

What I’d like is for them to fit into 1x1 spots so I can have a whole bunch of them organized nicely, but I’m aware the weird grid size is my own fault really.

I have never seen that before. I bet there’s a way I can set them to lock
at 1x1–i had no idea the smaller ones were sizeable at anything else.

1 Like