IFTTT help

Does anyone know how to set up IFTTT to work with Beeminder to log a location?

When I first tried I got a random error.

Now I get 28 0 “initial datapoint of 0.0 on the 28th”

I deleted the goal to start over fresh.

I also can’t figure out how to change the due date. It just defaults to Thursday night at 12 am when I need it to be Fridays at 12 pm.

1 Like

I had some issues with IFTTT when I was using incremental goals, but rephrasing it a little and using a “Do More” goal fixed that. Maybe that helps? And you should be able to fix the deadline on the settings tab of the goal.

However, I have a lot of trouble with getting IFTTT location triggers to work (on Android). They either don’t fire, or fire randomly, when I’m hundreds of kilometers away from the location. I did my fair share of googling, but didn’t find any solutions. Does anybody know of a way around this?

1 Like

I recently set up two location triggers on Android using IFTTT, and they
did not function well until I enlarged the locations to a little larger
than a city block here in Minneapolis. After doing that, they have
functioned great.

2 Likes

Mine actually covered a whole town. I’ll try that again and see if it works now… maybe something got fixed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are other options for location triggers on Android, including
Tasker. Tasker has a huge number of configurable settings, and you can
configure a lot about how the location is determined, and you can use
Tasker to submit the datapoint to Beeminder too.

On the other hand, I feel it is easy to get lost in Tasker even though I
have a very high tolerance for that sort of thing.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response!

Can you please elaborate on changing the deadline.

There are 3 boxes. “start alerts” “lead days” and “deadline”.

In the deadline box it only has a time (12:00 am). When I chagne the lead days it doesn’t change anything.

What ever combination of things I do there it doesn’t change the due date at the top of the page.

1 Like

Hi @smreeves

Sounds as though you’re on the reminders settings page.

I can confirm that changing when you get reminded about a goal will have absolutely no effect on the goal’s due date.

If you email support we can adjust the goal so that the next due date is on a Friday (or you could use the ‘take a break’ feature to inject a one-day pause).

But, and this is a big one, Beeminder does not think in terms of weeks, so the deadline could drift away from Friday again for any number of reasons. (He says, completely blind to how you’ve configured it…)

1 Like

My god this software is confusing… but it’s the only thing like this out there so I’m committed to figuring it out.

Here’s what I’m trying to do:

1. I want to go to an improv class once a week on Fridays.
  2. I want to check-in via IFTTT so there’s less room for cheating.
  3. Sometimes I have to work on Fridays and need to cancel that day so I don’t get charged.

I’ve searched around for a simple setup tutorial on youtube but couldn’t find one.

Does anyone have any instructions or a resource that would start me from the beginning.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @smreeves! Can you point us to your goal and we’ll make sure it’s doing what you need it to? (Here or to support@beeminder.com is fine.)

Here are 2 templates for IFTTT applets that I think both are examples of what you’re trying to set up:

Eager to hear if those work for you! (Btw, it’s hugely valuable to get questions like this so we can figure out how to make Beeminder less confusing for newbees. Thank you!)

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for the response!

I deleted the goal and I’m going to try again with resources that you provided.

What confuses me most is that it pre-populates the due date at the top of the goal and I can’t figure out how to change it.

I would like to set it up for recurring on Fridays with the option to skip a week if I need to.

Is there a way to do this?

1 Like