Is daily weight under your direct control?

We do exactly what The Hacker’s Diet recommends – exponentially weighted moving average – to generate the purple moving average line!

Ah, this is a beautiful compromise. You’re treating weight as mostly in your (daily) control, doing lots of reasonable things to control it within a day timescale that are also smart on a months/years timescale. And you’re keeping the pledge low, in the spirit of “Bee Nice To Yourself”, so you can just pay $5 or whatever occasionally as a fair price for the lesson learned and keep plugging along.

2 Likes

Anecdata: I successfully followed the Reeves protocol to get back on my weight road this morning. After the acute OMG-must-eat feeling passed, I experienced an extended period of hungerlessness and no difficulty in concentrating on my morning tasks.

Now that the crisis has passed, of course, I’m in imminent danger of having a cheeseburger and chips for lunch.

Update: as it happens, I had a cheeseburger (brie & bacon) for lunch and also for dinner (red leicester). I don’t think it had anything to do with my earlier abstinence, just how it happened to play out.

Update: kaboom! this morning I’m an entire kilo above the road.

2 Likes

That’s exactly why I like the more reasonable approach. Too much danger of doing everything to extremes… starving only to feel deserving of overeating crap!

3 Likes

Yes, cheeseburger for dinner will do that for you :slight_smile:
I’m always trying to remind myself that dinner should generally be digested by the time i go on the scale next morning

2 Likes

Interestingly I’ve since found that I’m very much incentivized to avoid starchy food when I have a weight beemergency, even things that themselves weigh almost nothing, like potato chips. That’s because I’m drinking normal amounts of water regardless and water plus starch means my scale weight goes up. Water alone I pee back out no problem so I’m not incentivized to avoid drinking.