Jawbone weight goal is confused about units

Hi there! Long time lurker, first time poster etc.

I just created a Jawbone UP->Weight goal and immediately deleted it because it’s not going to make sense.

I live in Australia and use the metric system. The UP app and all the other fitness apps on my iPhone know this. But Beeminder doesn’t! The “Create a new Jawbone goal” dialogue only says “lose … pounds per week” (btw, what if someone actually needs to gain weight?).

So I converted my goal loss from kg to lb, but all my datapoints are in kg!

Can this integration be modified to respect the unit setting?

2 Likes

Hmm. I just looked into the Jawbone api a bit and into our own code, and despite our saying “pounds” in the wizard, it looks like the Jawbone api only provides body weight measurements in kilograms and I’m not finding any way to find out the user’s preferred units. Now, I don’t have an UP band myself, so I don’t know how they handle it internally to their own products, but I guess given the info that we are able to get from Jawbone, our goal wizard is simply wrong.

Side note: does it even make much sense to beemind weight from Jawbone in the first place? They don’t have a connected scale, do they? Actually, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had it so you can connect your Withings scale and then they pull in weights from withings, but we can do that too!

B

1 Like

That’s interesting if Jawbone’s API only uses kg! Is anyone else minding this goal?

Jawbone doesn’t have their own connected scale (yet!) and I only have a dumb scale. I weigh in after I check my sleep data so it’s all become part of my morning Jawbone app review, so logging weight in Beeminder would be an extra step.

1 Like

Roger that on being easier to log in the Jawbone app :slight_smile:

Yeah, I didn’t do a super close reading of the api docs, and there was little mention of units etc… I will follow up with an email to them to see if I can get a verification, but best I can tell they’re only giving data in KGs.

I wondered myself if anyone else was using jawbone to track weight in beeminder, and there are only a small handful. You’re a pioneer!

B

2 Likes

Fixed, and thank you for the UVI, @claudine!

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks!