NaNoWriMo 2017: commit and cowork

Hey all!

It’s the last day of October :jack_o_lantern: and that means that National Novel Writing Month (aka NaNoWriMo) is starting tomorrow! If you’ve been meaning since forever to write that novel that’s been in the back of your mind, now’s the time!

Basically you commit to writing 1667 words each day, and by the end of November, you’ve got 50,000 words, which is totally enough to be a short novel. Then you can edit it later.

Beeminder has a nanowrimo integration, of course: Beeminder

The reason I’m here posting about it, even though I’m not a fiction-writer (except the odd short story) is that I’m the guy who runs Complice, another goal-tracking app that is integrated with Beeminder and that many of you have probably heard of or tried.

And Complice has virtual pomodoro-based coworking rooms, which are a really great way to get accountability to do hard things like homework and writing a novel. So I figured I’d set one up for NaNoWriMo: complice.co/room/nanowrimo (you don’t need a Complice account to join!)

And I figured the Beeminder forum would be a great place to post about it! So let’s consider this to be the NaNoWriMo thread for 2017. Post below if you’re going to write this year, and people can cheer each other on and work together in the room.

Malcolm

PS: Sign up via the room or use this link to have your Complice trial go all the way to the end of November.

3 Likes

I’ve gone and added a bit of customization to the nanowrimo room, in the form of a more visible wordcount:

(This is just a demo: nobody has 46,000 words already :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Excellent! We were not on the ball with promoting NaNoWriMo this year so thank you for helping do so! I very much endorse the Complice co-working room and making this the NaNoWriMo thread for 2017. Thanks, @malcolm!

Ooh, and thanks for the full-November trials of Complice. That’s awesome!

I’m aiming to do a NaNoWriMo-related project; sketching out the various plotlines for a Visual Novel, at a rate of one ‘ending’ per day…

And right now I’m typing here instead of working on it :innocent:

(I slightly mistimed my goal’s start, so today’s an emergency day :scream: – I’m telling myself it’s fine because today’s will be the baseline plot, and throughout November I’ll write 30 variations of that plot outline. My only concern is that I seem to have severely underestimated the set-up involved to organize a plot-structure like I intend.)

2 Likes