Problem with IFTTT > Beeminder Gym Applet - Please help me if you can...

Hello there,

I’m pretty new to Beeminder and set up the IFTTT > Beeminder applet that is meant to trigger a datapoint to a Beeminder goal when the applet detects you’ve entered a predefined geographical area.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to working. I’ve checked that my phone knows where it is, and it accurately pinpoints my location. My accounts are active for Beeminder and IFTTT on my Android phone. I’ve defined the area correctly. I turned on notification on the IFTTT applet so it should tell me if it’s worked - and I haven’t ever received a notification so assume the problem lies with the detection by the applet and not a problem at the Beeminder side.

Can anyone suggest a reason why the applet is not working? Maybe I need to give it permission at some level to access my phone’s location? For information I’m using an Android 5.1 phone.

I’d appreciate any advice on a fixing this issue, this dunction would be great for a number of goals if I can get it working.

Many thanks

Eddie

1 Like

Hello, I don’t know why but tonight the applet seem to work. Although I had a different problem in that the applet ran 3 times whilst I was in the gym, giving me far too many data points. Is there a way to set a maximum data points in a 1 day period?

Many thanks

Eddie

1 Like

Hey mangoman!

If you email support@Beeminder.com, we can set that up for you. Custom aggregation methods are officially part of the Bee Plus subscription perqs.

But I think yours is a fine example of a special case. Those location-based triggers sometimes go mental and trigger far more than a human might expect. (And occasionally, less often, i.e. zero.)

Update: I’ve gone ahead and changed the aggregation method to ‘max’, so although the extra datapoints will still arrive, all of those 1’s will only count as one visit to the gym that day.

1 Like

Thanks Phillip for the information, I’ll go and check out the link and email support. I was thinking about looking into Bee Plus to see what extra it can do - so this might be the moment to step up.

All the best

mangoman

1 Like