Thoughts behind Premium features

I agree about premium vs non-premium features (see also my reply in a recent thread about retroratchet) but disagree about us needing to make you fail a certain number of times.

Rather, we think of it like this: If you’re the kind of person who’s going to get massive value out of Beeminder then you’re necessarily going to derail now and then, at least at lower amounts of money. If the graph itself were sufficient motivation and you never ever derailed then you clearly didn’t really need Beeminder in the first place. More on Beeminder’s seemingly perverse incentives on the blog.

PS: There’s a ton of discussion about premium plans still in the old Akratics Anonymous Google Group which you can find in the first few hits searching for “premium” there. I’ll reproduce my last thought from those threads here:

All ideas related to premium plans are going back on the shelf for now while we digest the latest feedback. So if we can pause all thoughts on that […]

Thanks again, everyone! Insanely helpful as always.
Danny and Bethany and Alice et al

Again, we’re finding Daniel, Sean, and Tom’s points persuasive. And in fact they’re mostly just urging us to stick to our original principles, as outlined in the “No Carrots For You” section of the announcement of premium plans. And I agree that #2 (“things that are confusing to newbees”) is too fuzzy.