Week Forty-four! Happy New Year! Alright, one last update before the year ends. I’ve been at this experiment for around ten months now, and though I’m eager to give a complete summary of how things have gone in February, most people enjoy taking time to reflect at the end of the year, so I’ll do a little bit of that now, too.
In spite of everything else, Beeminder has made this year the most productive year I’ve ever had. Investing my time and really dedicating myself to this has paid off in tenfold. I really can’t put into words how grateful I am for the team and the community surrounding it.
Of course, it’s not all perfect! I still feel like I could have accomplished a lot more, put higher rates on certain goals, not flub or derail as much as I have, etc. But all in all, I’m in an upward trend in general, and I’m really happy about that.
For fun, I’ve decided to list out some goals I have for the new year, some are attached to already existing Beeminder systems, and some are not–some I have no idea how to make a Beeminder for!
Goals for 2021:
- /productivity: Spend five hours a day on my new business.
- /distraction: Spend all my of leisure time on analogue activities.
- /github: Create a new open source project that will benefit people.
- /blogging and /writing: Start writing and publishing more, aiming for two posts per week.
- Start writing by hand in my bullet journal once a day.
- Start tracking my budget better, buy as little as possible, practice frugality.
/learning: Earn 5 new certificates to help me with my career.
- /courses: Complete 20 educational course in the year.
- /books: Listen to 20 audiobooks in the year. Take notes on them.
- /french and /clozemaster: Consume more French media, read and write in it more frequently, aim for fluency.
- Reach an ELO rating of 1700 in chess, read more theory.
/photos: Dedicate time to having a street photography session once a week.
- Start a new photography portfolio.
- /poetry: Read and write more poetry, and publish a chapbook.
- Learn new songs and fingerpicking on guitar, try my hand at songwriting again.
- /foodlog: Continue on my diet, practice veganism and sobriety.
- /fitness: Continue going on daily walks to reach 10k steps.
/weight: Lose 40 lbs. and reach my goal weight of 140 lbs.
- /weight-check: Continue logging my weight daily to gain the most insight on the data.
- /sleep: Start waking up and going to bed earlier.
/meditation and /prayer: Take meditation and prayer more seriously, study them.
- /gratitude: Contemplate what I’m grateful for more deeply each day.
- /journalbar: Write an eBook about this experiment using Beeminder.
- /derail: Aim for zero non-legit derails this year.