Death to Zombies (and the OMG label)

An update on this thread (repeated from a recent daily beemail):

After some improvements to our SMS bot today, we’re down to 8 regressions in our bug tracker. That’s out of 585 issues total. A regression refers to something that got worse about Beeminder. Like a violation of the Pareto Dominance Principle – The Pareto Dominance Principle for Apps and Websites | Beeminder Blog

Also we call regressions “zombies” for some reason. (And for some reason we didn’t settle on “zombees” – too obvious, I guess?) Or zoms for short. (Or “zombs”, with a mostly silent b, adds @bee.)

Anyway, a while back we decided that we need to treat any regression as a five-alarm fire and started beeminding our way to zombie-zero. We were up to 50some or higher (!) at some point – though some turned out not to count as zombies – and at 23 zoms outstanding we started beeminding them. I think that’s around when the low-hanging fruit was picked clean.

In case you’re curious, here are the 8 that are still shambling:

1. some dumb daylight savings bug
  2. some dumb thing about rounding in the ratchet UI
  3. some other dumb thing with rounding in the data tab
  4. a very rare burgle bug with premium double charges that we’re able to shirk-n-turk
  5. some weird cornercase in Fitbit goal creation
  6. autodata landing pages even wonkier on mobile than they used to be
  7. some excruciating race condition mostly causing rare BeemiOS duplicate datapoints
  8. another weird race condition with entering data at just the right moment after the deadline but before we’ve processed the derailment

If you’ve personally noticed any of those – or know of a regression not on that list! – please let me know.