Feature Request: Integery goals

Although it definitely has anti-weaseling features, that isn’t the issue for me. For me it’s more of an annoyance that gets under my skin as well as the mental processing of 0.29 being “not quite yet”. That impression makes it less forceful. It really is cosmetic, but sometimes appearances have real effects, especially subconscious effects.

3 Likes

Regarding the intgery setting, philip said:[quote=“philip, post:8, topic:470”]
It’s currently exposed via the Beeminder API and our admin interface. If you want to test out how it currently works in practice, email support and we’ll turn it on for one of your goals. (Best to start with one until we all understand how it currently works!)
[/quote]

I’m not sure I’m quite ready to jump into the figure out how it works mode right now.

So much yes. Been itching for this for as long as I’ve used Beeminder, but didn’t know how to structure it in a straightforward enough way. Mel’s suggestion sounds great!

:dog:

1 Like

I’ll second Mel’s suggestion. Would be great for a lot of my goals (How do I floss 0.93 of my teeth?)

2 Likes

This is something I’ve been wanting too, specifically for weekly goals. The Beeminder mentality is to chip away at things every day but some goals shouldn’t break down that far.

It’d be nice if it were not just integers but basically a setting that allows you to create a minimum. So you want to tdo a minimum of one push-up on any given day. Someone else might always do a minimum of ten and working towards increasing that, so being told one push-up is do can be demotivating.

I’ve just archived my running goal, because I really fell to pieces when it came to requiring a two-minute run to not derail when what I was aiming for was two 15-minute runs a week. Mentally, I know that I should run 15 even though it says 2, but realistically I suffer from the same issue as martyh describes that a small number is “not quite yet”. I feel hard-done by that I need to go out for such a small number and disinclined to work towards a 20-minute run when the goal basically shows that “all I need is 2 minutes” and 8 minutes puts me ahead of the game.

I’ve been struggling how to explain this but I think it’s the same issue at heart - specifically goals set up to be accomplished a couple of times a week.

4 Likes

See also: Feature request: allow me to define the number of decimals for each goal

2 Likes

How about having two beeminds: one for time and one for times ran? A Do Less goal of 2 runs per week, and a Do More goal of 30 minutes of running? Both can be autodataed from Runkeeper f. ex. and if don’t do more than 2 runs per week and don’t run under 30 minutes per week, you won’t derail.

Although, you could then run only 1 per week for over 30 mins. Another Do More goal times ran per week for over 1 per week? grin XDD

2 Likes

Now available as one of the options on a custom goal if you’re a premium subscriber.

If you try this out, let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

What is the setting called in the API? I don’t see any hits for “integer” on the API doc page.

2 Likes

The integery parameter is among those ‘more fundamental goal attributes’ that are implied by goal_type. Defaults to false for all types apart from inboxer and netcalorie, according to the code. I thought we could specify those parameters independently of goal_type in the API, but maybe I’m mistaken.

Nonetheless, I can confirm that integery is now exposed in the scarily advanced settings on my custom goals, with this caveat:

Assume that the units must be integer values, e.g. for inbox goals you will never have a fractional number of emails, so telling you that you must archive 2.7 more emails to be safe is kind of silly. Currently this only affects the numbers given in the Amounts Due / Hard Cap table, and above the graph in the Bare Min / Hard Cap section.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m not phrasing this correctly, but I am looking for the name of the parameter. I just pulled one of my goals from the API and “integery” is not one of the keys in the dict returned. Is that actually its name and it is absent when false?

1 Like

I guess it hasn’t been added to the API yet.

1 Like

but…

1 Like

Oh.

1 Like

I just checked my goal that has it turned on via the API and it’s definitely not currently there.

I think it actually is called integery. I just added it to one of my goals and it modified the bare min display. However, the API does not include the value even if it is set true.

2 Likes

Woot! Just set integery on 22 of my goals – my dashboard has never made this much sense before! :smiley:

2 Likes

It looks like it isn’t rounding the right way. For example, right now my goal (https://www.beeminder.com/drtall/goals/well_met) is showing +4.05 bare min but on the goals page it shows +4 instead of +5.

2 Likes

[quote=“philip, post:21, topic:470”]
It’s currently exposed via the Beeminder API
[/quote]My brain lumped it in with the all the other ‘more fundamental goal attributes’ and expected that it was alongside them in the API. There’s been a clear failure of omniscience. Sorry about that.

Looks as though there’s a couple of #UVI still to come:

• expose integery in the API
  • get the bare-min rounding right
3 Likes

Ha! This is almost as good as “Mistakes were made.”. I’m going to have to remember this line and use it at work.

Anyway, no worries all good stuff. :slight_smile:

1 Like