No-sugar month

It’s … fine? I don’t feel different. And I don’t obsess over dessert or anything, I just really like it. What’s actually most frustrating is how in the dark I feel about how to make the tradeoff between the deliciousness of ice cream and long term health. All the guidelines one finds seem super arbitrary and I don’t even understand really fundamental things about nutrition, like whether junk food is all that bad in and of itself or mostly insofar as it causes obesity.

Oh, the biggest difference is that it’s much easier to stay on my weight road, but personally I don’t mind skating the edge of my weight road. In fact, I think what makes staying on my weight road easy is that the no-sugar rules (including, in my case, avoiding anything starchy – rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, etc etc) require me to abstain from a sizable subset of the food that’s in reach, so to speak. Which is exactly what my Beeminder weight goal makes me do as well. So I don’t think that this experiment is an argument against beeminding weight.

1 Like