On making Beeminder more appealing to a wider audience

I guess in my mind the thing that makes Beeminder seem like a tool for nerd-only or semi-human robots is when it is telling you to do a fraction of a task that is literally impossible to do a fraction of. Being asked to work for a very small amount of time or, e.g. read a very small number of pages of a book seems like a related but different problem.

A feature I’ve wanted for a long time is the ability to specify a minimum “session size”, which I think would address both of these issues. For example, if you could tell Beeminder “I want to read 200 pages per week in sessions of at least 25 pages” then you’ll get cozier book time and the Beeminder UI can be smarter about how it displays things. i.e. the integery setting goes away because you can just say “I want to floss my teeth 6 days per week in sessions of at least 1 flossing”.

Then the other feature I’ve always wanted is to specify a maximum per day, so that Beeminder also can tell you that you’re “done” with the goal. As it is today, Beeminder is missing a lot of features related to cheering you on or celebrating your accomplishments, I think in large part because it cannot know which goals have unlimited potential (e.g. steps per day) and which can actually be “finished” for a day (e.g. watering a plant). (This also fixes a lot of bugs/hacks in Do Less goals where today Beeminder tries to work around not having this information, e.g. color calculation)

Yeah, it would be really cool if Beeminder generated interesting stats based on your goals!

Personally the most motivating stat I have is my month-over-month % change from my janky dashboard. I think it would be neat if Beeminder presented this kind of stuff in-app.

This site looks really cool! I suspect that it’s not for me, given the “We don’t believe in hitting fixed goals…” ideology but I might still try it out instead of wondering about it forever.

Specifically, I think the entire reason Beeminder exists and is useful is that it transforms important-but-not-urgent tasks into urgent tasks. That process feels crushingly arbitrary at times (I mean the feeling of “Ugh Beeminder why can’t you just eep tomorrow because I know it doesn’t really matter when I do this goal”), but it’s all directly controlled by your past self setting the goals. So it’s never the amount or rate that is arbitrary, only the artificial urgency.

Possibly this whole ramble is off topic. :slight_smile:

Edit: @k1rsty actually the whole thing might be a non-starter for me. I posted in their forums but let me know if you happen to know (https://forum.exist.io/t/does-data-only-come-from-integrations/332)

5 Likes