shanaqui's Beeminder Journal: 2021

Derailments:

• /dailyweight - Good thing I capped this at $0 to begin with – I want to figure out how things fluctuate for a bit first, because yeesh, they fluctuate.

New goals:

• /myfitnesspal - I’m still pretty strongly in favour of the beeminding the inputs idea, and I remember finding MFP a bit more helpful in the past than Fitbit (Fitbit was too generous with giving me extra calories for exercise done).

Changes to existing goals:

• N/a, as far as I can remember.

Project Bookminder:

Definitions: flat-forever goal = a goal made to remind me that I have this book and want to read it someday, with a rate of 0; standard reading goal = rate of 5/day, autoratchet to 1 day of safety. All reading goals have public datapoints with daily comments describing how I’m getting along with the book… or not even starting it, if the goal is still flat-forever!

• New flat-forever goals from the book backlog: /vs6_unexpectedperil, /elatsoe
  • /seapeople - Picked from the backlog, this is a book about the history of the Polynesian peoples.
  • /fabricofcivilization - I really enjoyed this, though I wish I was a more visual person so I could’ve followed the descriptions of how weaving works.
  • Notes: The two new flat-forever goals and the other new goal were all on my physical stack of books, so the two flat-forever ones have been shelved now, and I just kinda felt like starting on Sea People, so I capitalised on that urge.

Notes:

• What a horribly warm and sticky week here in the UK. I’ve been a cranky, cranky Nicky! But mostly managed to stick to my goals… if I don’t let this book goal slide tonight, at least.
1 Like

Derailments:

• /behave - I am finding this book rather tedious, because it is mostly telling me things I already know, at very great length.
  • /indexahistoryofthe - This book wasn’t tedious, I just ran out of time one day because I’d started leaving my goals too late. Oops.

New goals:

• /netgalleyratio - Ideally, one should have read and reviewed 80% of the books one is approved for on Netgalley. This one was on 63% earlier today (though raised it a bit after creating this goal by finding some older reviews they hadn’t uploaded yet). This is a super slow goal designed to make me move toward that 80%, hopefully with enough slack in it that I can still request new books.

• I promised my wife I’d put in breaks for my birthday. I haven’t bothered to do so for reading goals yet, because who knows which books I’ll be reading when that rolls round, but now most of my active goals have breaks for 20th August - 22nd August.
  • A couple of goals got some top-up flat spot to keep plenty of safety buffer, since I am struggling to balance them so far.
  • /pillbox - Archiving this since Lisa pretty much takes care of it at the moment.

Project Bookminder:

Definitions: flat-forever goal = a goal made to remind me that I have this book and want to read it someday, with a rate of 0; standard reading goal = rate of 5/day, autoratchet to 1 day of safety. All reading goals have public datapoints with daily comments describing how I’m getting along with the book… or not even starting it, if the goal is still flat-forever!

• New flat-forever goals for books from the backlog: /wd1slipperycreatures, /chasingaphrodite, /hench, /thestoryofsilence, /theappleorchard
  • New flat-forever goal for an ARC: /elderrace
  • /braidingsweetgrass - I must admit to not really being a fan. Very sentimental, and deeply romanticises indigenous teachings. Indigenous people are perfect, almost all white people are greedy and ruin the world. There are many things I agree with the author about, but it’s a very simplistic view.
  • /calamityinkent - Created this week for a backlog book, but already read! Reasonably fun; pretty much just what I’d expect from one of the British Library Crime Classics line.
  • /indexahistoryofthe - Finished and archived! A history of indexes may not sound too exciting, but there were some pretty entertaining factoids in here.

Notes:

• I think that’s it for the week! I’ve been edge-skating a lot on my reading goals lately; I’ve been feeling kinda overwhelmed, although I think it’s partially because I’ve been sinking a lot of time into Final Fantasy XIV. I don’t want to dictate what I do with my fun time too much, so I’m not unduly worried about it. Just… keeping an eye on it.

Derailments:

• /dailyweight - As far as I can tell my datapoints so far are basically a scatterplot without rhyme or reason. I’ve tried noting a couple of things to see if they track with increased weight in the following days… as far as I can tell, they don’t. So I think my strategy going forward will be to keep a ton of buffer.

New goals:

• N/a

• /inhaler - Had to have an emergency break put in by support (thank you!) because I ran out of doses and my prescription took time to be filled.
  • /reviewbacklog - Finished and archived! And gradually all my backlogged reviews are getting posted on my blog.

Project Bookminder:

• New flat-forever goals for books from the backlog: /persephonestation, /thedarkeningage, /scoff
  • New flat-forever goals for ARCs: /thenecessityofstars
  • /seapeople - Finished and archived! It’s a very Western point of view, rather than being the history of the islands by people from the islands – it’s all about how the West discovered and reacted to the islands, and what primarily Western scientists and archaeologists have discovered. I found it enjoyable, but wished for more of the Polynesian points of view.
  • /blackwatersister - Finished and archived! Very enjoyable, and the setting in Malaysia was pretty new for me, so it was interested to see how that was handled.
  • /elderrace - Started and finished this week! Full disclosure: this was an ARC. I thought it was a clever treatment of the “sufficiently advanced technology looks like magic” idea, along with a clinically depressed protagonist and some interesting ways of handling it.
  • /burningthebooks - Got started on this, so now it’s a standard reading goal! I actually knew nothing about the British army burning the library at the Capitol in the 1800s, so that part was slightly surprising to me. Otherwise most of the events touched on are things I’m somewhat familiar with, but Ovenden writes engagingly so I’m still along for the ride.
  • /thegoblinemperor - Yes, again, I know. Rereading this before getting started on The Witness for the Dead, which Lisa bought me a copy of last week! Not that I need an excuse: I love this book so much.
1 Like

Derailments:

• N/a

• /ehlyah - This is my goal for showing affection to my wife through e.g. hugs. I put a chunk of break into it because I was struggling with it; when I’m cranky, I’m extra touch-averse. Turns out that’s a good thing as now she’s sick. (Lateral flow test says not COVID, but we’ve both done PCR tests to be sure. No results yet.)
  • /bsupport - Now I work almost exclusively for Beeminder, I’m upping the rate on this goal! I should be doing 30 hours per week, but I’m setting the goal to 25 while things settle down.

Project Bookminder:

• New goals for ARCs: n/a
  • New flat-forever goals for backlog books: /thehistoryofmagic, /wintersorbit
  • New flat-forever goals for new books: /stormblood, /kc1_witchmark
  • /behave - Fiiinally finished and archived! It was OK, and he explains basic biological concepts beautifully clearly, but it mostly felt like a synthesis of a lot of stuff I already know.
  • /burningthebooks - Finished and archived as well! This went into some areas I didn’t know about, despite reading a similar book recently, so that was interesting.
  • /thenecessityofstars - Finished and archived this goal for reading an ARC! It was pretty short, and it took me a while to understand what the narration was doing, but I liked it. Still need to write my review…
  • thegoblinemperor - I should probably have named this goal ge1_goblinemperor, since I now should read the second book, but they’re only loosely related – not as important to group them as a series, I guess.
  • /pw1_paradisewar - I renamed this goal from /theparadisewar, to match the other books in the series. This was a nostalgic reread, and it held up surprisingly well.
  • /pw2_silverhand - For reading the sequel! Won’t pick it up quite yet, but I don’t want to wait too long either.

Notes:

• My birthday is coming! :tada: My goals are all dialled accordingly except reading goals, which I think I will leave as-is and then turn off the autoratchets 1-2 days before.
1 Like

Derailments:

• /fruit - I don’t know quite why I tripped up here. I guess it didn’t quite feel urgent with a $0 charge, so maybe it’ll be effective now at $5.
  • /thebonewars - Let this derail while archiving so I could get rid of it after I DNFed the book.
  • /velvetwasthenight - Same for this one; this book just didn’t work for me.

New goals:

• /beerefreshed - This is a quick whittle-down goal for working on a refresh of some of the resources the support team use. It’s only a first pass, and I might restart it once I’m done to go over everything again and sort out moving things around.

Change to existing goals:

• /clockoff - I’ve dropped the threshold for this from 7 hours to 6.5, since I now work (almost) exclusively for Beeminder and can afford to. I’d kinda like to drop it to 6, buuut that would remove the possibility of working 6 hours on some days for quieter days later in the week, so I think I’ll keep it at 6.5 (6 expected, 0.5 for emergencies).

Project Bookminder:

• New flat-forever goals for backlog books: n/a, I’m not adding any while the number of goals I have just for books is so big – I fear I’ll get overwhelmed as it is!
  • New flat-forever goals for new books: /chaucerspeople, thechiantiflask, /theblackcoast, /perfectwives, /murderbythebook, /deaddeadgirls, /curry, /chaucerspeople
  • /thehobbit - I felt like a reread. This went pretty fast, obviously! It was just as warm and wonderful as I remembered – lacking the complexities of LotR, of course, but always enjoyable.
  • /lotr_fellowship - Now I’m rereading the big book. I’ll have a separate goal for each of the volumes, just because that’s the way I own them and it gives you a reasonable pausing point if I want a couple of days off!
  • /thebonewars - I started this and decided it wasn’t going to work out, so I DNFed it. Might be fun for a dinosaur-obsessed teenager, but felt a bit young for me, and veeeery prone to infodumps.
  • /sirensofmars - I got this for my birthday (along with the other new books I added goals for this week) and dove straight in, so it started as a standard reading goal!
  • /thejasminethrone - Not sure if I’d mentioned that I’d got started on this goal, so, yep! I did.

Notes:

• This is a bit early this week to keep my birthday (tomorrow plus a tiny family party on Saturday) free of Beeminder goals and other obligations!

Derailments:

• N/a

New goals:

• /focusedreading - I’ve been using Focusmate sometimes to make me just spend 50 minutes reading, no devices, no distractions. It’s working well, but the temptation is always there to switch it to something else like doing chores, working on my Beeminder goals, etc. In fact, that’s what I’m doing right now. So I made a goal to ensure I put the time in, 5 times a week.
  • /focusmate - For Focusmate sessions in general. I’m averaging three a day at the moment, so that’s where I’ve set the goal – with an autoratchet at 10+ days of buffer, so I can’t make it too safe and fall out of the habit.
  • /postcrossingtasks - This goal should be easy: I basically created it so that it will prompt me to plan my Postcrossing tasks into the middle of my day. My problem is not with doing them at all (I’m very good about that!) but about doing them at a convenient time for me (like during my mid-day break) instead of at the end of my day. I use my Beeminder goals to eye up my day, so this is perfect for making sure I do things at the right time.

• /fruit - Threw some more flat spot in this one because my poor appetite makes meeting this goal hard right now.
  • /beerefreshed - First pass on these is done, so this goal will get archived soon.

Project Bookminder:

• New goals for ARCs: n/a, trying not to request too many of those!
  • New flat-forever goals for backlog books: n/a, let’s keep winnowing down the list first
  • New flat-forever goals for new books: /thecouncillor
  • /sirensofmars - Finished and archived! Okay, but a bit too personal in places.
  • /thejasminethrone - Finished! Not archived yet, but it soon will be. Really enjoyed this, and tore through it once I got started.

Notes:

• Nothing else on my mind at the moment, I think! My work transition to mostly Beeminder has been lovely, because I can put my head down and just work without having to code-switch my tone/mindset. So that’s nice.

Derailments:

• /clockoff - I forgot I’d changed the boundary and overran this by just a few minutes, but I paid anyway because hey, if I don’t have consequences for forgetting about the limit, I might “forget” about the limit. Also, I’m weaselproofed and this doesn’t meet my fine print exemptions.

New goals:

• N/a

• /ehlyah - Tiny bit of a break on this again. I’m just… not a very touchy-feely person, and it makes me cranky to have to touch people when I don’t want to, when otherwise we could have a perfectly fun evening yelling at old episodes of Robot Wars.

Project Bookminder:

• /lotr_fellowship - Finished and archived! I still love it, though it isn’t the be-all and end-all of fantasy. And I can’t turn off the part of me that wrote essays on it, but that enhances my enjoyment.
  • /kd4_magicbleeds - Finished and archived. Has a maddening miscommunication thing which makes total sense for the characters, but still is not a trope I love.
  • /thechiantiflask - I started this, set the goal to be a normal reading goal, and then… finished it the same day. So I tweaked things around and voila, it’s now archived.
  • /lotr_twotowers - No break, I’m carrying on straight through – it’s not a trilogy, after all, it’s a single book and meant to be read as such. The page numbers in my three-volume edition even reflect that.
  • /kd5_magicslays - I’m starting this without a pause between books because my wife’s started reading the series, and they take no prisoners. If they enjoy it, they’ll have overtaken me and finished the series by this time next week, most likely. Excellent motivation for me to hurry up and at least get to the books I haven’t read before. (Not that Lisa would give me spoilers unless I asked, but then we can chat about the books.)

Notes:

• Nothing else to report, I think! I may consider archiving my goal for reviewing books… I’m not sure if that’s something I’m interested in anymore. But I’m thinking about it, not deciding about it yet.
1 Like

Derailments:

• N/a

New goals:

• /veggies and /fruit - I added a week’s break to these to help me build a bit of buffer back up on these. Some shortages in our shopping orders have cut down on my veggie intake in particular. I won’t call not legit if they derail in the meantime, though; I should’ve planned ahead a bit more.

Project Bookminder:

• New goals for ARCs: n/a, trying not to request too many of those!
  • New flat-forever goals for backlog books: n/a, let’s keep winnowing down the list first
  • New flat-forever goals for new books: none here either!
  • /chaucerspeople - Got started on this last week, and finished it early this week, so, finished and archived. It was okay: a little slow, and maybe best if you’ve read The Canterbury Tales recently.
  • /kd5_magicslays - Finished and archived! Really fun, as ever!
  • /kd6_magicrises - Started right away, because now my wife’s reading this series, and I have to stay ahead.
  • /wag6_hoarfrost - Started the book, finished the book and archived the goal all in one day, yay! I should pick up the next omnibus, I think, because I’m still having a lot of fun with the characters and world.
  • /vs6_unexpectedperil - I started and finished this one really fast as well, though not in just one day! So now I’m caught up on this series. It’s not my favourite so far, but it was good fun.

Notes:

• Nothing else comes to mind!

Derailments:

• /clockoff - Again! But this one was not legit according to my rules: a meeting ran significantly longer than I’d planned for.

New goals:

• N/a

• N/a, as far as I remember!

Project Bookminder:

• New goals for ARCs: still nothing new!
  • New flat-forever goals for backlog books: waiting to winnow down the list a bit more
  • New flat-forever goals for new books: nothing here either!
  • /murdernextdoor - Finished! This was my third RNGtheTBR book; it was okay, but didn’t blow me away.
  • /la1_madetokill - This is a reread, but I don’t remember much of the story! Fourth book for my RNGtheTBR experiment.
  • /wf1_longway - This is for another reread of The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. Total comfort book for me.
  • /howemotionsaremade - Finished and archived! Very interesting, though the first half of the book is better explained and more interesting.

Notes:

• I don’t think I have anything else to say this week! Apart from oof, I’ve had some busy days, and I really wish I was getting more reading time… on the other hand, gaming is tempting.
1 Like

Derailments:

• N/a

New goals:

• /streeeetch - I need to do stretches to help with a trapped nerve. Yay physio! It’s helping a lot.

• /rngthetbr - I finished this goal, archived it, and restarted it for another five books chosen in a random order, to see how the experiment goes over a longer period of time!

Project Bookminder:

• New goals for ARCs: none!
  • New flat-forever goals for backlog books: still not adding more yet
  • New flat-forever goals for new books: still not bought anything new! It might be a record.
  • /scoff - Finished and archived! It was okay, but kinda slow and also snobby. Not surprising in a book about class and food in Britain, I guess.
  • /kd6_magicrises - Finished and archived! Fun fun fun, and by fun I mean heartbreaking.
  • /kd7_magicbreaks - Started and finished this week! This one takes the story interesting places.
  • /kd8_magicshifts - Just got this one started!
  • /la1_madetokill - All finished! A fun pastiche of Raymond Chandler, but with sci-fi.
  • /wf1_longway - A lovely reread, even the parts that are sad.
  • /witnessforthedead - The goal was made and finished this week – I ripped through this once I finally got to it. I don’t love it as much as I love The Goblin Emperor, but it’s hard to love anything as much as I love The Goblin Emperor.
  • /elatsoe - Got this one started and finished as well. Kind of juvenile in tone/level, but enjoyable, and I definitely liked the insight into Lipan Apache practices and beliefs.

Notes:

• More reading than I’d thought this week! Huh. Anyway, otherwise, it’s been business as usual.

Derailments:

• N/a

New goals:

• /journal - Actually restarted from archive, but it’s been dormant a while. This is for writing roughly one entry a day in my journal, since I do enjoy journalling and having a record of my life! Technically, the other support workerbees (Mary, Simone and Robin) are keeping me accountable for this one, since Mary suggested we all do some accountability, Beeminder-y thing together.

• /bsupport - I’ve upped this to 30 hours/week, which is the exact amount I’m supposed to do. I wanted to see how holding my feet to the fire about this one feels – though it does have a week of buffer to make sure I have wriggle room.

Project Bookminder:

• /le4_tearsofpearl - Finally started, finished and archived! I should make a goal for the next book soon, but it took me a while to get into this one, so I’m in no rush.
  • /kd8_magicshifts - Finished and archived! This is the last of the series which was a reread for me.
  • /kd9_magicbinds - Started, finished and archived as well. It’s a heck of a fun book. I need to hurry up and make the next goal!
  • /la2_killingbusiness - Started, finished and archived – it’s such good, pulpy fun.
  • /theappleorchard - Finally started this and finished it quite quickly. I had quite a rant about the book’s contents, but actually rather enjoyed it.

Notes:

• Nothing else to report!

Derailments:

• /fruit - I feel like in this case I had a paradoxical response to beeminding eating fruit. I was great and happy to eat fruit and build up buffer when I had 7 days already… and then once I had a rough few days and hadn’t paid attention to my goals properly, and thus ran out of buffer, I slacked off worse. I just didn’t want to do it, even though it would be as simple as grabbing an apple from the kitchen, and it was because I was close to derailing. I guess I need to sit with that and unpick it a bit more – but I think it’s pretty much down to the stress levels I was feeling. Everything got a bit too much, including this goal, and it didn’t seem worth it to struggle against the stress of my buffer disappearing… and way easier to just let it slide towards derail and pick myself back up afterwards.

New goals:

• /lshtm_biohazard - The goal for tracking my hours for the “Biology of Infectious Diseases” class. “Biohazard”, therefore, since I already had “Principles of Biology” last year, and lshtm_biology is therefore taken. It’s set to reach 150 hours by the start of the exam period. However, I’m completing everything in roughly 50% of the recommended time, so far, so I’m contemplating reducing the goal by a little, particularly given my current stress levels. I know that the studying is supposed to take me 100 hours (with 50 hours being for self-directed research and preparation of assignments)… I don’t want to lower the requirement by 50% and be doing the bare minimum, but I think lowering it to 75 hours for that portion and thus making the overall goal be 125 hours would be a good idea. It would also be more consistent with my performance last year, where my goals hit 110-120 hours in total.
  • /lshtm_control - For my “Control of Infectious Diseases”, and all the same applies to this as well.

• /200squats - I’ve added a break to this because I’m getting some knee strain – possibly not from the squats, but the combination of the squats and my physio stretches. I’m going to restart the programme from week 1 and go a little more gently, I think.
  • /focusedreading - I’m having trouble making time for this goal without feeling super resentful, at the moment. So I’m putting it aside for now with a break, and considering putting it into archive.

Project Bookminder:

• New goals for ARCs: none!
  • New flat-forever goals for backlog books: still not adding more yet, though I need to add a couple for series I’m in the middle of
  • New flat-forever goals for new books: I got a book as a gift which I need to add, but I haven’t downloaded it yet
  • /wd1slipperycreatures - Started on this joyfully, because I love KJ Charles. I finished it yesterday and enjoyed it a lot.
  • /kd10_magictriumphs - Can’t believe I’m now reading the last book of the series. :sob:

Notes:

• As you see, I’ve been pretty stressed, but overall I’m doing okay!
1 Like

Derailments:

• /hands - It started creeping toward being in the red and my stressed brain couldn’t cope.
  • /clockoff - I called non-legit on this one because it was a tools failure (I couldn’t easily see my total time for work goals on Toggl, and with my study goals mixed in, I made an error in how much time I’d spent working). I’m making sure to refresh the data on my clockoff goal more often, and that’ll make it clearer how much time I’ve got.
  • /chainsofgravity - I haven’t been making enough time for reading, so I’ve been running these goals into the red, and… welp. There we go.

New goals:

• N/a

• I’ve dialled 7-10 days of break into all the goals that I was losing ground on while I was stressed out. Here’s hoping I can catch up.
  • /ehlyah - This is my goal for hugging my wife (which in practice is about any kind of physical contact, since I am touch-averse). I’ve dialled it down from 5/week to 3/week because I’m having an especially hard time with it right now – any kind of stress makes me want physical contact even less. I still want to try, though, hence not archiving it altogether or putting in a longer break, though both those options are on the table.

Project Bookminder:

Notes:

• Wow, I am stressed and not doing well. Ahaha. Not entirely sure how I’m going to fix that, because it’s the amount I need to work plus the amount I need to study… but maybe I might find a better way to spread things out through the week if I study on my day off. However, I am now up to date on goals I needed to add or tweak, so hurrah for that.

Derailments:

• /clockoff - Another non-legit derailment on this – not quite the same issue, which is now solved, but a related one. I let my wife rule on it and they ruled non-legit.

New goals:

• N/a

• /focusmate - Increased the rate to 4/day. Tempted to set a weekly rate and nix the weekends off, and smooth out my graph…
  • /streeeetch - I was doing 6 a day – 1 “legs up the wall”, 5 piriformis stretches all on the right side. Since the pain is gone now, but in the past I’ve had it in both legs, this is now a 5/day goal: 1 “legs up the wall”, 2 x piriformis stretches on the right side, 2 x piriformis stretches on the left side.
  • /clockoff - Tweaked things to let me work longer on some days (up to 7.25 hours), to allow for my new schedule that takes into account studying time. Bah. I don’t love the change to longer days, but it does also come with a much stricter end time to my days!

Project Bookminder:

• New flat-forever goals for backlog books: n/a
  • New flat-forever goals for new books: n/a
  • Nothing else happening here either! Busy, busy, busy.

Notes:

• Nothing else of note right now!

Derailments:

• N/a

New goals:

• /hammertime - For @alys’ group thing! I haven’t looked into it much yet, but I liked the idea.
  • /thinkonpaper - Since I got my reMarkable 2, I’ve been getting back into the habit of writing down whatever my brain is chewing on. It’s always been a really helpful way for me to think and learn; I normally journal on Dreamwidth anyway, but this gives me a quieter space to ramble about stuff that’s of no interest, or repetitive, or whatever.
  • /moodscope - I’m tracking my mood over time, out of interest, and Moodscope is a tool I’ve previously used a lot. So I’ll use that, and this goal will make sure I remember to.

• /focusedreading - With regret, I’m admitting I have no time to do this at the moment and I’m just going to archive it.
  • /focusmate - I was using it for about five sessions a day, and my wife has expressed… concern that that schedule wasn’t giving me enough off time. It was a fair concern and I don’t think it was actually helping the use I got out of Focusmate. I think it might be more helpful to me to have a couple of sessions a day for the stuff I particularly want to get my head down on (like studying), but for other stuff I need more ability to pause my timer and get up to go pet bunnies or whatever.
  • Some breaks went into a bunch of goals just to give me breathing space.
  • /lshtm_biohazard & /lshtm_control - I’ve changed the rate on both of these to get me to a total of 130 hours per goal by the end of the course, as I originally suspected I might. That might also help with my stress, too, since it eases up the weekly rate a bit.
  • /rngthetbr - Finished and archived! I think this goal format is a success, but I’m not restarting it again yet while my brain is melting.

Project Bookminder:

• New goals for ARCs: /spear, /theboneorchard
  • /onelaststop - Finished and archived! Pretty predictable, but in an enjoyable way.

Notes:

• I think that’s everything, whew.
  • I feel like I’m always saying I feel stressed, but that’s because I persist in working full time and also studying half-time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ What do I expect, right?
1 Like

Derailments:

• N/a

New goals:

• N/a

• /bsupport - Had the rate changed to 23/week for a week, since I took it easy and hit about that many hours this week.

Project Bookminder:

• New flat-forever goals for backlog books: /be2_theobeliskgate, /te4_cibolaburn, /bag3_denofwolves
  • /thesenamesmakeclues - Started up and also finished! Fun, but not my favourite of Lorac’s. Bit too convoluted.
  • /spittingblood - All finished! Feels very historical rather than scientific – very little discussion of the efficacy of certain treatments, just a sort of “by x date, x treatment was the state of the art”. Yes, and??? Did it work?
  • /mb1_allsystemsred - Murderbot reread time! Started and finished within a day, ahaha.
  • /mb2_artificial - Murderbot book two! Also started and finished within a day. As good as ever, and this one’s probably my favourite because of ART.
  • /mb3_rogueprotocol - Murderbot book three! I’ll… probably have it finished within 24 hours, let’s be honest.

Notes:

• Bit of a relaxed week this week; hopefully back to normal in the week ahead!

Derailments:

• I derailed one of my book goals. Well, I didn’t actually derail on it in terms of not reading when I should’ve, because it was a flat-forever goal that I hadn’t started yet, but I goofed with the data because I was entering that late (I enter a datapoint every day on all my flat-forever reading goals, because it helps to keep them fresh in my mind), so I let it stand. I’ve forgotten which one now, though…

New goals:

• /neckstreeeetch - It seems that, having turned 32 this August, my body has commenced falling apart. First the physio for the sciatic/piriformis nerve issues, and now new physio for my neck because my hands started tingling and it seemed to originate there. Sigh. I’ll also have a new goal soon because it also turns out that I’ve lost most of the muscle in my hands, especially the big one at the base of my thumb, so I need to do grip strength exercises. Sigh.

• I think I might have topped up the buffer on a few goals again. It seems to help me keep doing them without despairing, for the stuff I struggle with.

Project Bookminder:

• /mb3_rogueprotocol - Finished and archived! Still good fun, but maybe my least favourite.
  • /mb4_exitstrategy - Started and finished this week!
  • /mb5_networkeffect - I only just made this goal even though I started the book days ago, and I’ve been letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. Until right now. So, all set up.
  • /chainsofgravity - Finished and archived. It was okay, but I really disliked how Wernher von Braun was… barely criticised, if at all, by the narrative. Keeping his missile dream alive was really not worth actively participating in Nazi use of forced labour, for fuck’s sake.

Notes:

• My ereader’s deceased, so life feels rather disrupted, all in all! Some of my goals aren’t possible, especially ones which have ARCs I need to read, but luckily none of them are ones I’ve started yet.
  • Some of my reading goals don’t have public datapoints, because I forgot with the last couple of batches. I’ll go through them and fix that soon.

Derailments:

• N/a

New goals

• /test_focusmate - This is a temporary goal while I’m testing some stuff out!

Changes to existing goal:

• N/a, this week – I think?

Project Bookminder:

• New flat-forever goals for new books: n/a, I’ll be getting very few books from now until Christmas!
  • /diagnosis - Started reading this once I finished Breaking the Chains of Gravity, and finished it pretty fast! I enjoyed it but at the same time it was pretty challenging for me since it was all about weird medical mysteries.
  • /dd1_wentwatercourt - I decided to reread (and maybe finish) the Daisy Dalrymple series, so here’s the graph for the first book! Finished it already, yay. Still fun, though I remember the whole Daisy stumbling over bodies thing getting a bit old.
  • /dd2_wintergarden - I felt like getting straight on with the next book, so I’ve made a goal for that.

Notes:

• Busy, busy – but I can tell I’ve got my work/life balance functioning again, because I’ve been reading again. Now if I could just keep up with writing the reviews…
2 Likes

Derailments:

• /lotr_returnoftheking - If I recall correctly (but ugh, a week ago feels a very long time ago right now) this wasn’t a real derailment, just a data goof, but I decided to let it stand so I don’t get into a habit of those.
  • /mb5_networkeffect - Ditto!
  • /inhaler - This had a deadline set wrong because I don’t normally edge-skate so it doesn’t normally matter, and I decided to call not legit on this one as a result.

New goals:

• /getagrip - A simple 5/week goal where +1 = “did a set of exercises with any one of my grip-strengthening gadgets”. I converted it to custom and set the aggday to “nonzero”, so it’s just whether I did it or not – doing extra doesn’t get me more leeway.

• /clockoff - This got a chunk of extra buffer for a single day, because I had necessary but unforeseen work to do.

Project Bookminder:

• /spear - Started reading this ARC! So now it’s a standard reading goal. Somehow I hadn’t realised it was an Arthurian retelling, so this is going to be interesting and I will have many opinions.

Notes:

• I think that’s it! Nothing more to report.

Derailments:

• /thesilenceofbones - I can’t quite remember why this derailed… possibly just that I didn’t feel like reading, that day.
  • /riverkings - This was just a goof when I was changing the goal from being flat-forever to getting it started. I let it stand since it was only at $0, though.

New goals:

• N/a

• Absolutely all my do-more goals got a week’s break when I was ill on Thursday-Friday. I’m now shortening or removing those breaks as necessary, now I think I’m better.

Project Bookminder:

• New flat-forever goals for new books: /janesmith, /theblindbarber
  • /thebookofthelion - One of my Christmas gifts from my wife this year is a bookish advent calendar, with 12 books and 12 other treats (mostly chocolate). This is the book for the 5th, I think, which I accidentally started reading right away…
  • /spear - Finished and archived! It was enjoyable.
  • /mb5_networkeffect - Finished and archived. Murderbot is still a lot of fun; highly recommended.
  • /mb6_fugitivetelemetry - Didn’t make a goal for this immediately, but luckily I was very driven to read Fugitive Telemetry, got started even without the goal… and have already finished it! Murderbot is a lot of fun, I do recommend.
  • /lotr_returnoftheking - And so the journey is complete (again). Took me longer than I expected, and I’m just not as deeply into it as I used to be… but it was still enjoyable.

Notes:

• I think that’s everything! Hopefully now my wisdom teeth will settle down, I can avoid upsetting my stomach with my medication, and all will go smoothly for a few weeks. Hopefully!
1 Like