shanaqui's Beeminder Journal: 2022

Derailments:

• N/a

New goals:

• N/a

Changes to existing goals:

• /feedback_backlog - I want to have a bit more time for other tasks next week, so I’ve added a break to this goal. Since I beemind the total number of uncategorised feedback emails, I do still have to keep up with the number that come in to avoid derailment, but it should reduce the amount of time I have to spend on feedback emails.
  • /bsupport - I’ve reduced the rate for a week on this, since I’m rejuggling my time a little.
  • /test_anki - Archived, because I just don’t like how the Anki add-on works, and also, I’m running out of cards to review.

Project Bookminder:

Most new goals are “flat-forever” goals. Flat-forever goal = a goal made to remind me that I have this book and want to read it someday, with a rate of 0; standard reading goal = rate of 5/day, autoratchet to 1 day of safety. All reading goals have public datapoints with daily comments describing how I’m getting along with the book… or not even starting it, if the goal is still flat-forever!

• /ace - The local library bought a copy of Angela Chen’s Ace for me, so I rewarded them by reading it really fast. I made a graph for it, but it’s already finished and archived.
  • /exhalation - Finally reading Ted Chiang’s Exhalation, for a book club! Also a square on my Litsy bingo card, actually. This is a standard reading goal for now, since I have plenty of time left.
  • /wf3_spacebornfew - Reread finished! Still not my favourite of the series, but it has its good points.
  • /seaisnotmadeofwater - Finally finished! I was not a fan. There were some interesting sciency bits, but a lot of rambling and stuff that is meant to sound deep.
  • /amarvellouslight - Freya Marske’s A Marvellous Light is the “DoubleSpin” number in my bingo card on Litsy, so I’ve got stuck in and turned this into a standard reading goal.
  • /whisperingdoor - A new flat-forever goal made to read T.J. Klune’s Under the Whispering Door. This goal replaces the one for A Marvellous Light on the flat-forever list!
  • /virusplaguehistory - A standard reading goal for reading Viruses, Plagues & History by Michael B. Oldstone, since the library kindly bought that as well. I’ve got started, but am mostly in the virology 101 stuff… which I do not need, but I read anyway because it gives me a good idea of the level of the book and how to review the author’s ability to explain things.

Notes:

• Still struggling with some health problems, mostly anxiety-related. The medical advice is basically to chill out a bit, so I’ll try…
  • For my LSHTM goals (/lshtm_control and /lshtm_biohazard), I’ve stopped carrying 14 days of leeway on both and am letting my leeway decrease a bit down to 7 days. It was giving me plenty of plan-ahead time, but it’s not proven too necessary, and letting myself eat up the leeway a bit also helps with taking it a bit easier for a couple of weeks.