shanaqui's Beeminder Journal: 2022

Derailments:

• N/a!

New goals:

• N/a

Changes to existing goals:

• /pileminding - I enabled @narthur’s autodialler and force-ran it even though the goal isn’t old enough yet. I set an upper rate of 3/week, just in case. It’s now set my rate to 1.27 books per week, for a start, so let’s see how this goes.
  • /stopbyseven - The concept works well, and it’s physically possible, so I’ve set the rate to 6/week now (with 1 day a week allowed for unforeseen circumstances).
  • /earning - Since I just got this month’s pay, I’ve ratcheted this back down. I plan to do this every month so I can see real-time my progress (the line of my data) vs my needs (the bright red line).

Project Bookminder:

Most new goals are “flat-forever” goals. Flat-forever goal = a goal made to remind me that I have this book and want to read it someday, with a rate of 0; standard reading goal = rate of 5/day, autoratchet to 1 day of safety. All reading goals have public datapoints with daily comments describing how I’m getting along with the book… or not even starting it, if the goal is still flat-forever!

• /strangebeastsofchina - Started up this goal… and have already finished the book. I didn’t love it, alas; it wasn’t quite what I expected, and I found it both unclear (when it came to following the exact relationships between characters in one of the stories) and that it was too obvious about its themes.
  • /ww2_wallflower - New flat-forever goal for reading one of my Christmas books, replacing the goal that got started up! It’s technically the second in a series, but they’re kind of episodic – so I hear, anyway.
  • /thehistoryofmagic - Finished! I found it super reductive: basically any practice we don’t understand from the past is considered to be magic, instead of realising that historic and modern humans are pretty similar so there’s a high likelihood someone just got tattooed with a tiger (or whatever) because they think tigers are cool, rather than for shamanistic reasons… But I also enjoyed the read, when it stuck to the archaeology and textual evidence.
  • /tdir3_greenwitch - Finished! Not my favourite of the trilogy, but it has a beautiful chapter under the sea and a character who deserves more attention is prominent, so I enjoy it.
  • /tdir4_thegreyking - Getting started on my reread of the next book in the sequence.
  • /moneytruestory - Started this goal from the backlog! I’m inhaling it so far, it’s very breezy.
  • /immunejourney - Another flat-forever goal replacing a started backlog goal! This is a beautifully produced book that will tell me mostly stuff I already know. That’s still valuable, though, because watching other people communicate science effectively helps hone what I do, plus the refresher is helpful, and the illustrations here are bold and colourful and the most likely way I, a profoundly non-visual person (you say “imagine an apple” and I imagine something more like the word “apple”, a concept without an image or sensory information strongly attached), will learn from example to draw and depict these complex systems.

Other comments:

• Nothing right now, I think! I’ll get a public version of the megadueby spreadsheet up soon, but right now it’s time to end my day and read.
1 Like