Beeminder Forum

shanaqui's Beeminder Journal

Derailments:

• Due to illness: /protein, /housework, /sleeptown – I didn’t have the energy to keep up with tracking my food intake properly, plus I wasn’t eating properly anyway. Trying to do housework would’ve just been silly. Finally, Sleeptown locks your screen overnight during set hours, but I needed to take my meds at certain times which didn’t work well with it.
  • Due to Fitbit messing up: /caloriedeficit – I’m weaselproofed, so I provided screenshots plus my wife vouched for me. In summary: Fitbit claimed I ate three times the number of calories I actually did because it duplicated my single guesstimate entry twice. We know for sure I didn’t eat that many calories because I could barely eat that day!

New goals:

• /gameofbooks2020 – It’s here! You can read about the rules here if you’re interested – basically it’s a points-based system of meeting various non-numerical reading goals like targeting enjoyment.
  • /tbrcleanup – I have a shiny new spreadsheet for 2020 documentation, courtesy of Reader Voracious, and it’s prompted me to import my TBR… and sort through it for what I still actually plan to read.

Changes to existing goals:

• I got a few breaks due to the aforementioned illness. Turns out trimethoprim is a great antibiotic but makes me very, very sick… and I deal very poorly with that due to medical trauma. :scream:
  • I readjusted my /water goal because 750ml is an awkward number to meet and I was slipping behind. It’s now 4.5 liters per week, which means 750ml six times a week, or most days with 500ml and two with a full liter. Since I want to actually start gaining on my goals, hopefully that will lead to me drinking a liter more days than not.

TaskRatchet Fails:

• N/a.

Other comments:

• I stopped work on the bookblanket in December because I had a lot of other stuff to do, but now it’s time to figure out how to get that finished. It’s going to be pretty long! All the better to snuggle under, I guess. Anyway, first I need to figure out how many more motifs need to be made and how many need to be joined, and then make goals accordingly.
1 Like

Derailments:

• N/a, though /mits came close when I stupidly forgot

New goals:

• /bookblanket_catchup is back! I have 27 new motifs to make. I’ve set this fairly conservatively so I can take my time; I already have 16 to join, and some ends to tuck in. I suspect I’ll make some progress once Good Omens is on the BBC, as we’re going to rewatch it then and it’s familiar enough I can get plenty done.

• I actually deleted /tbrcleanup, because I decided to do things differently. I’m re-entering all the books I want to keep by hand…
  • So I’ve created /recatalogue. I have roughly 36 shelves worth of books in our flat; I’m going to go through, cull and re-enter the books I’m going to keep at a rate of one shelf a day. In theory. Two shelves down, many more to go. I culled roughly half of the books on my history non-fiction shelves, but they were quite out of date for my current interests (tons of Tudor stuff, for example).

TaskRatchet Fails:

• N/a. In fact, I added one for something I’d been procrastinating on and promptly completed that the next day. Such motivational power!

Other comments:

• I am thinking I definitely need to recalibrate various things if I keep working this much. Also, my taxes are going to be a pain, and I swear if I ever get a real job it will be so I can stop filing my own taxes and just have them done automatically via PAYE. I should possibly beemind doing my accounts each month, too. Bah.
  • My hourofreading goal may have broken the curse whereby beeminding reading never works for me (aside from Game of Books, which is rather abstract). I’m not counting my chickens, because I’ve had reading goals that worked for a month or two before, but I do think it’s suggestive that I struggled to start with, but am now quickly gaining safety buffer.
2 Likes

Derailments:

• N/a, somehow? I’m creeping up on them for several goals, but keep evading by the very skin of my teeth.

New goals:

• /cleanseandmoisturise, because my wife’s doing it, it’s easy enough, and ah, hell, my face could probably use it, even if my scars are always going to doom me to an uneven skintone.

• /malariax was archived, because I completed the course. (With a final mark of 92%, thanks Beeminder!)
  • I’ve upped the weekly rate on /bsupport, since I’ve been doing more than that most of the time for months and months, oops.

TaskRatchet Successes & Failures:

• Successes: doing linguist tier-ups for Habitica, doing my timesheet for one of my employers.
  • Failures: none.

Other comments:

• On scars, above: I have dermatillomania (aka skin excoriation disorder, aka compulsive skin picking), I don’t really want to talk about it (unless you need advice about how I have got it under control, in which case I will be happy to chat, but have no magic bullets). And no, thank you, I don’t want to hear about your miraculous scar treatments, sorry!
  • An odd one to thank Beeminder for, but I think my goals to daily spend a significant amount of time hanging out with each of my three bunnies is bearing fruit. Hulk has always been happy to groom me and even lick my face, but only when on the ground – unlike Eclair and Biscuit, who are sometimes more eager to groom me than to get their own pettings and cuddles! It’s a sign of affection for a bun, so I’m surprised and honoured to announce that at nearly nine years old, Hulk has suddenly started grooming me while I’m holding her.
  • I need to make goals for reading Nature and New Scientist. Let this be my reminder to email @narthur and add that to my TaskRatchet list if I haven’t done it by the end of today!
3 Likes

Derailments:

• /dishwasher, because… I was just coasting along assuming it was empty. It might’ve been, I don’t know, but I didn’t check. So I derailed myself.
  • /inhaler. I’m not actually positive this did derail, but I was being really bad at taking it, so frankly I was glad to see the extra leeway.
  • /neatscience. I could’ve called an exception for mental health, to be honest, but again, I wanted the buffer.

New goals:

• /nature and /newscientist are go! They’re both weekly publications, so they both have a rate of 1/week.

• /craftathon got archived as I get too fidgety to really sit for long periods unless I have something I have to finish by a deadline!
  • /crafttogether is archiving because it just gets fulfilled by us going to a knit and natter group, and I don’t have much time spare to do more than that.

• Successes: Taking notes for an appointment, making /nature and /newscientist goals.
  • Failures: N/a.

Other comments:

• I’m really struggling at the moment, to be honest. My working hours (not just for Beeminder – I contract for two other companies) have gone up, and I’m finding it hard to strike the balance again. I think it can be done, but I’m not there yet. It doesn’t help that my brain has decided good news simply means the other shoe is due to drop.
3 Likes

Derailments:

• N/a.

New goals:

• /zooniverse: because I joined a challenge for doing Zooniverse stuff, on Habitica, but keep forgetting to do it daily.

• There’s now a break in /bookblanket_catchup so I can finish making a thing for my mother.

• N/a.

Other comments:

• A fairly boring week in the Nikki-verse, as far as my goals go. I’ve been working on getting ahead on my goals; I now have a #daily tag which filters my dashboard down to goals where I could/should put data in every day, and by sorting that to see what’s getting neglected, I’ve been carefully adding to my safety buffer. Of course I lost some of that ground today by having a relaxed day, but it’s the Six Nations and Wales played Italy today to start, so it felt like a good opportunity for a day off. (If not really a day off, since I did work for five hours!)
1 Like

Derailments:

• /teeth, but only as a test, so it was cancelled.

New goals:

• /confusion_backlog: when I have spare time in my support inbox slots, I work on categorising things that confused people into a spreadsheet to help us see what the most common issues are. After a busy period and another project, I’m behind on these. There’s about 300 to do, so I’ve set it to 50/week to start with and immediately begun at a $5 penalty.

• /writethosereviews has been converted to a 6/week goal where I just +1 if I’m on track with writing my reviews. This lets me build up safety buffer/occasionally have a day off.
  • /recatalogue is done with and will now archive! I do have books left at my parents’ house which I’ll need to slowly check through and add or donate, but of all the books in my flat, 331 made the cut. The TBR started at 1,250, though that figure includes ebooks and the books at my parents’ house.

• N/a.

Other comments:

• I’ll admit I have done basically nothing today because Wales lost versus Ireland in the Six Nations, and while we can still win the tournament, we can’t win the Triple Crown or the Grand Slam. I just… I need a minute here. At least the English can’t win the Grand Slam either…
3 Likes

Derailments:

• /inhaler, because… I’m just really bad at remembering to take it.

New goals:

• /quickbooks, because I’m tired of the arcane guesswork that is working out what I should be saving to pay my taxes for myself. I’ve said this before and I say it again: if I ever quit my various contracts, it’ll be to take employment with a UK company that will sort out my taxes for me via PAYE.

• Had to get an extension on /iron because I ran out of tablets.

• N/a.

Other comments:

• Using Slack reminders is no longer helping with remembering to take my inhaler at the right times, but on the other hand, filling my water bottle has become an independent habit. I think I might just have to split off my inhaler goal into /morninginhaler and /eveninginhaler, stupid as that is. Unless anyone has any other ideas!
2 Likes

Silly obvious suggestions: Where do you keep your inhaler? Is it possible to place it somewhere so that it’d be the first thing you see when you wake up and the last thing you see before you go to bed?–Like leaving it on your pillow? Or place it beside something, like a toothbrush so it coincides with another task?

1 Like

I’ve tried by the toothbrush, but that didn’t help because brushing my teeth in the morning is also something I forget. :scream: Mind you, I’m better with that now (thanks beeminder) so maybe it’s worth another try. (Right now it was beside my keyboard, and my reminder was timed for after the start of work, so that in theory I’d get the reminder and it’d be right there ready to take. It worked for a while…)

2 Likes

You just inspired me to write this down: Life Pro Tip: Plan To Forget

1 Like

Derailments:

• /hourofcrafting, because I… just wasn’t feeling it, to be honest.
  • /housework, because I got behind and just kept sliding.

New goals:

• /bodyweight, for doing 6 bodyweight workouts a week. Doesn’t matter what, must include at least three sets of three different exercises.

• Tweaked the days of mercy for /hourofcrafting – if I derail because I’m not feeling like crafting, it’s not likely to resolve in a day or two, so I’ve given myself leeway of 6 days for this one.

• N/a.

Other comments:

• I got very overwhelmed this week, and I haven’t done the greatest job of pulling it back yet – I’ve been missing really routine things. There are probably more derailments to come, alas.
2 Likes

Derailments:

• N/a.

New goals:

• N/a.

• /bookblanket_catchup has been archived, as I reached the goal! Slowly this project draws nearer to completion.
  • I’m really not feeling /hourofcrafting right now. I think I’m going to derail again. I increased the charge to $5 – $1 feels too piddly and small when I need to message the premium user who wins it! – so there’ll be a bit of a sting, but I don’t think I mind. I’ve put in a month’s break, so I’ll either resentfully keep it up until the break kicks in, or run off the road with relief.
  • A couple of my goals got two-day breaks the night my wife went to hospital in an ambulance, because they required my normal schedule and that got messed up. My wife’s fine, but it was stressful.

• N/a.

Other comments:

• I’m tired. :frowning:
2 Likes

Derailments:

• /hourofcrafting derailed, more or less as predicted. It’s now flat for aaages to give me some time to get my mojo back.
  • /water derailed, but it wasn’t actually legit – just a syncing problem with Fitbit. Buuut it did show I was edge-skating far too much with that goal.
  • /nofudge derailed, but again, that was edge-skating and data going in late. Oops.

New goals:

• N/a.

• /nailbiting has got harder! Now I need to have 6.5 nailbiting-free days per week, up from 5. Likewise for /cleanseandmoisturise.
  • /inhaler is also harder and has been since last week, when I forgot to mention it. My dose has gone up to four puffs a day, so my goal has likewise doubled. I’m still contemplating splitting it into morninginhaler/eveninginhaler.
  • /beemergencies got a big retroratchet and a rate reduction to 3/day. I’ll tighten it up even more when I’m back on an even keel after last week’s difficulties.
  • /fitbitsteps is being archived because it wasn’t really useful – I tend to do a little often, and then gain days and days of safety buffer with one day’s walking. It’s also kind of duplicating my /activeminutes goal anyway.

• New task: writing up an Apple Health integration FAQ.

Other comments:

• I’m still not really super on track, and probably need to be looking at my list of goals and seeing what isn’t really serving me anymore, because life is generally a bit busier than it was.
1 Like

Regarding body weight workouts, I can recommend this app:

It got videos that show you an actual person doing the exercises and the voice over gives helpful additional advice. For instance, in the step up exercise it points out that your entire foot should be on the chair before you step onto it and when they said it I realised that mine wasn’t and changing this does trigger different muscle groups than when your foot is on there only partially.
It also got nice warmup and cool down (read: stretching) exercises. The former help with not feeling like a complete potato during and after the workout and made me dread doing them a lot less!
In fact now I can do them before breakfast even! This is super great because now I don’t procrastinate doing them the entire day long. Without the warmup I just can’t. It sucks too hard and then I don’t do it.

I think it’s good that you want to do regular body weight exercises. I do mine every two days because muscles do also need some downtime. Two to three weeks into doing them I noticed how my lower back pain went away almost completely.
And when I stopped doing them for a few weeks (it started with a vacation) my back pain came back after a couple weeks. Once resumed it went away again. So I’m definitely gonna keep doing them.

1 Like

I’m currently using DareBee programs so I’m doing a little each day, but it’s different exercises targeting different muscle groups. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Derailments:

• /bookbed derailed because… honestly, I didn’t realise it was sneaking up on me, somehow.
  • /writethosereviews derailed because I looked at the clock 20 minutes before my deadline, went to get a drink, ended up petting the bunnies, and… didn’t get back to my computer in time. Sigh.

New goals:

• /nonewsisgoodnews: I got into a bit of a cycle of checking the news, getting stressed about it, and then promptly checking the news again and again. Of course I need to stay informed and all, but twice a day is quite enough. I started on a rate of 2/day; I think I might raise that to 2.5/day just to give a little more leeway, but anyway. That’s the idea.

• /activeminutes is going to archive too, because my Fitbit isn’t picking up my small bursts of activity very well, and I don’t think a lot of walking (my normal way of getting exercise) is on the cards right now.

• Success: edited the help doc for the Apple Health integration.
  • New task: create favourites challenge on Habitica.

Other comments:

• Well, it’s certainly been a week. That’s all I have to say for it right now!
2 Likes

Do you really?

I turned off every news source except a very good science news podcast and some tech news from a select number of YouTube channels months ago and I am living a better life since then.
In my experience, everything truly worth talking about, your friends and family will talk about anyway, so you’ll hear it there. And: the more things change the more they stay the same. That is especially true for politics.

All that general news are doing for me is further my disappointment in mankind.

1 Like

Yes. I live in the middle of nowhere; I don’t see friends or family that often other than my wife who could probably also use filtering down her news feeds; and my Twitter feed is filtered to remove anxiety-inducing/distracting/annoying things. Twice a day is more than I need for that, but it’s also a delicate balance between my anxiety about not knowing things and my anxiety about the things that are bothering me.

3 Likes

Derailments:

• /nature derailed because I couldn’t be bothered. My mental health was terrible, but this is one that I could’ve managed. Legit.
  • /teeth derailed, but it wasn’t legit. Got to my phone to add the data just a bit too late.
  • /bodyweight derailed, mental health. Could’ve managed it, so, legit.

New goals:

• /sciencewriting, for helping me stick to the FutureLearn course of that name. Mostly it’s stuff I already know about how to write from, you know, my English lit degree. But I’m hoping for new resources or ways of looking at things.
  • /histology, for helping me stick to the FutureLearn course on it! I’m excited by this one, and there’s a ton of material.
  • /priory, for the workerbee book club! @mary and I both have this book on our TBRs, and we managed to rope most of the others into it. :smiley:

• A lot of my goals got extra breaks put in for mental health reasons. One of the potential criteria the workerbees have discussed for breaks for mental health reasons to avoid a slippery slope of weaselling was “it was so bad, I called my doctor”. This was one of those; I called my doctor the next morning and went back on anxiety medication.
  • /activeminutes got archived without finishing its countdown because my Fitbit refused to believe I was exercising. It wanted me to keep my heartrate higher than it ever really goes… Not clear what that was about.

• N/a.

Other comments:

• I’ve been doing better since I called my doctor and asked to go back on my anxiety medication. Turns out, one doesn’t have to be that completely terrified all the time. For a bit there I honestly thought everyone else was as terrified as I was and just pretending they were functional, because the fears seemed logical. Now I see that many of them were not, or were worst case scenarios, and that anyway I’d rather be optimistic and be able to read books and be kind to people, even if the optimism turns out to be unfounded. Anxiety messes with your head, folks, news at 10.
    (Obviously it’s a rough time for many, and I’m not minimising that. I was just totally immobilised by fear and turns out I didn’t have to be.)
3 Likes

Derailments:

• /beemergencies derailed for the first time(? I think), due to my new tougher limits and my week of struggling. I think I’m getting back on track for full-time orange-is-the-new-red.
  • /dishwasher: I hold my hands up, I ignored this a lot and I deserve to derail.

New goals:

• /sciencematters, for the Coursera course of that name about COVID-19.
  • /covid19, for the FutureLearn course of that name about… well, you guessed it.
  • /reachout, to remind me to message, text or call friends I don’t routinely speak to. The rate is 5/week. I don’t want to be contrived about this, so I might lower the rate a bit. We’ll see how it goes.
  • /gbhc, to make sure I attend aaaall the rehearsals for the Great British Home Chorus. It’s a highlight of my day, and I don’t want to end up having a backlog of unwatched rehearsals if stuff gets too much. Enforced enjoyment!

• A bunch more breaks were added for mental health reasons, with thanks to the long-suffering @justanotherjon.

• Nothing to report yet…

Other comments:

• I’m back in the red on a bunch of things, sigh. But I feel better again today – lots of ups and downs – and am making some progress on clawing it back.
4 Likes