Beeminder Forum

shanaqui's Beeminder Journal

I have trouble drinking enough water too. (In fact reading this thread made me get up and go get some cause I’ve been so very bad about it this week.)

I also have a nail-biting type of goal that I’ve been way not ambitious enough with. I’m used to tracking it as a do-less, but you’ve inspired me to make a meta-goal for it that will track days without the habit (powered by either IFTTT or Zapier or something).

I’m not particularly crafty (anymore) but I want a book blanket so bad. But your goal there makes me remember that I’m not enforcing enough fun stuff… I need to force myself to do more fun, deliberate, thoughtfully leisurely things.

I’m with @dreev… I really do love these journals. They impact things I decide to do and they’re inspiring. Thanks!

4 Likes

Thanks for this by the way! Good to know!

@shanaqui how’s Biscuit recovering? Hope she’s ok. :rabbit: :rabbit2:

2 Likes

Answering the most important thing first: she’s doing great! No more meds or hand-feeding necessarily, thank goodness!

5 Likes

And gosh it is so much easier for me than starting up a timer for every quick ten minute scout of the inbox. :scream: At one point before I used Tagtime I was clicking into my Toggl tab every few minutes to turn off one timer, start another, etc etc.

I love making blankets. There’s something so satisfying about it. I have never, um, actually finished one yet. (One of them was too complicated for me at the time, and another was just too heavy and unwieldy until we had some more space… which we do now, so it’s out for me to work on any day now. :D) It’s so satisfying to work on something so big/useful/snuggly.

3 Likes

re water: I am (or rather was) super guilty of this, too, and I suspect it to be one of the reasons of my headaches. Here’s what worked for me:

I got flic buttons, set one up to log my water consumption into Beeminder (and Apple Health) and it’s just so satisfying to press them! And it did change my water consumption a lot and you can see it in the graph:

I set up autoretroratcheting with 0 buffer and from the graph you can clearly tell that at the beginning I drank all the water and easily made it to green, later only blue, eventually my enthusiasm dwindled to orange and you can see from the bumps in the line above the YBR that the retroratcheting occured less frequently.
This confirms a long standing suspicion of mine: When I realise “I need to drink more” it goes fine for… not even one whole week! And then I fall back into the old me. Not anymore! Here’s the whole graph:

My goal in that time was set to 1.5l per day. That’s 6x8oz or 6 glasses of water. Or 6x250ml more or less.
I found this very easy to incorporate into my day and the zeno reminders are a good interval for getting you to drink. I just empty a glass all at once most of the time, then put the empty glass on the table and press the button! So satisfying!

There’s one caveat though: If you got a nice white flic button next to your glass of water do NOT confuse it with a pill or some effervescent tablet! :wink:

In the entire time I beeminded water consumption I have had very very few headaches. It’s too early to conclude that they are correlated (esp. since this isn’t the only thing in my life I changed) but I’m not complaining! Maybe having a cute physical button on your desk works for you too, @shanaqui @mary.

Here’s the goal:

1 Like

I would really like a physical IFTTT button or two, actually! I’m not quite at the point where I want to invest that much money, though. I did have IFTTT widgets on my phone, but they kept not firing (and IFTTT support ignored my email) so… :man_shrugging:

the flic app supports widgets too! (talking about iOS here) They can’t do everything the buttons can do but they can talk to Beeminder (via https) and they can call Shortcuts (via url scheme) if I’m not mistaken.
And yeah the buttons are like $100 for 4. But I spent a good part of a day looking for alternatives and what I found was not exactly overwhelming. And flic comes from Sweden! Now if their support wasn’t so super slow poke…
So maybe try the flic app and see if its widgets do the job for you?

1 Like

Hmm, worth considering! For now I’m putting it in via Fitbit, which is reasonably speedy, but…

I have a do-more goal for water, getting data from Fitbit. Fitbit gets its data from MyFitnessPal where I do all my food tracking.

On the practical side of it, filling a 1lt bottle and having it on my desk has greatly increased my consumption (easier access) and made tracking easier (easier to enter 1000ml once rather than 250ml four times)

1 Like

I’m using a manual do-more goal for water but I’ve also found that it’s a lot easier to keep track of by having a standard thing I drink out of. In my case, it’s a big ol’ quart mason jar that I fill to the 24 oz line. I also know my coffee cup is 12 oz. Pretty much every datapoint I enter ends up being a multiple of 12 which makes it easier.

3 Likes

Welp, it’s been a week!

Derailments: None!

New goals: None!

Changes to existing goals: I’m going to ask support to delete my four goals for spending time with my bunnies. At the moment, I’ve been tracking the amount of time, but each bun has different needs, and also moods that vary depending on the day and their own mysterious calculations. Also, setting timers was not going well. So I think I’m going to replace each goal with a daily one that just requires me to spend some time (any time) with each bun each day.

Other comments: I’m getting a bit weaselly and lax about my “entering meals” goal by just estimating instead of actually taking the time to figure it out, and studies say you tend to underestimate and misremember what you’ve eaten, so I’m gonna have to have a think about that.

(If anyone feels like being nosey, feel free to trawl through my gallery and pick out a goal and make me talk about it, btw. Sometimes the ones we’re not thinking about are the most important to get right…)

3 Likes

I thought I once saw a dunwanna goal or something like that? And I was just looking for it and can’t find it. Am I imagining things? But really, that goal name, that just has to be from you :wink:
If this goal was or is about what I think it was then I have a similar goal (albeit with a way uncuter name: moa - moments of avoidance) And it struck me that you might be able to share some insight.
Like sometimes when the Netflix is strong and it’s late at night the couch right behind me has this irresistible urge to just flop onto and pass out there (just a quick nap). Vs. going to the long long way to the bedroom. And if I’m weak (and realise it in that moment), that’s a +1 on my moa goal. Does or did your dunwanna goal work like that?

1 Like

I did have a dunwanna goal! And yep, it was for when I just didn’t want to do something, although it was a do-more goal with +1 whenever I felt like I really did not wanna and I did the thing anyway. I ended up archiving it because there was no chance of me ever derailing – I couldn’t think of a way to formulate it that was quite robust enough about what counted.

3 Likes

Derailments: /neatscience; I didn’t get round to it in time, and by the time I was about to derail I didn’t have the time to put in the research to do the right kind of post. $10 fee for not prepping ahead? Okay.

New goals: /nouptime, /breakfasttime, /cuddleclair and /nosetonose have been reborn with +6 per week. That’s mostly just so if I do slip and don’t cuddle a bun for a day, it doesn’t stay permanently in emergency days. I need to remember to add an autoratchet to these so that doesn’t also attract vast amounts of safety buffer.

I’ve also now got a /craftathon goal. Me and Lisa got tons and tons done when we were crafting together frantically before Christmas, and my /crafttogether goal was meant to be making sure we keep doing that. We are, but the goal is in an awkward place where it’s always just about manageable, but only lets me keep up with my bookblanket, not enough other stuff. So /craftathon is now enforcing a Saturday or Sunday spent mostly crafting together. And I should run, because that’s today…

Changes to existing goals: /gym is becoming more /regularwalks, but I don’t think I’ll bother changing the name. Gym membership is expensive and walking round our local park is cheap. :laughing: Re: /enteringmeals, which I mentioned last week, as of Monday (I work well with arbitrary deadlines) it’s full details of everything being entered into my food log, or no +1 for that meal.

Other comments: /gameofbooks2019 is going really, ridiculously well. I’ve clearly got the points system pretty down pat this year, since most books are averaging out to being worth about the same points, once length/interest/time on my backlog etc are all taken into account. It does mean that /writethosereviews and /bookblanket are never coming due, though, so possibly that needs a rethink.

6 Likes

Why? I think I’d derail on that frequently.

So British :uk:
This raises a good point: there are goals that you can do last minute, and then goals that take advance planning. Is it worth treating them differently (putting the widgets on different parts of your screen, or indicating in goalnames)? Or maybe beeminding an auxiliary goal (or changing the goal to) “advance plan for goal X”?

Like I have a “get haircut” goal. If the deadline is on a day or at a time she’s not open, maybe it should count to text her to make an appt?

1 Like

Because I have depression and anxiety and there are a lot of things I fundamentally do not want to do, starting from getting out of bed every morning. Or working instead of reading (often many times a day!). Or keeping on with this bookmark cross-stitch when I just wanna run off and cross-stitch this tree with rabbits. Or just leaving it for Lisa instead of cleaning out the hutch.

It was too easy to just say, “Yeah, I was kinda resistant to that, +1!”

It is? :laughing: And btw, I’m glad you did not call me English. Full marks!

It’s possible I need a second goal for doing reading and research related to my science blog. :thinking: It’s certainly something I could use a reminder for.

3 Likes

You made me realise why my version of the dunwanna goal does work for me:

Because for me that includes “log that +1 for buying a free nope ticket right now” for I have log that immediately to not forget it. Turned out this is already quite substantial motivation to just do that thing.
I did not anticipate that this goal would have this effect but I’m glad it does. Which is why I also never derailed on it despite having autoratcheting turned on.

Thinking more about this, this reminds me of a (different) technique to educating little kids: When you offer them an “alternative” to what they should be doing that isn’t really an alternative, tricking them into thinking they have a choice where they really don’t :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, here’s my goal:

Which in some ways is the successor of this one:

Given what you said about your dunwanna goal I’m curious to learn whether doing it the other way round would work better for you. In either case, hope this helps and thanks for posting this journal!

2 Likes

Hmm, yes, that might be a good way of doing it. Avoids the temptation of manufacturing or inflating a dunwanna in order to make it count… yeeees…

3 Likes

I was very confused reading this. Then I read your exchange with @phi and it made sense. You were thinking back at the end of the day and logging a +1 for anything you did that you were resistant to. Like @phi said, I was thinking you’d have to log it at the time, not that you could go back to think of something.

That’s amazing and makes me want to try it!

Yeah, we always say “around to it” in the US :us: round is only the shape of a circle.

Oh no, I did log it at the time usually, but because it was a do-more goal, there was always an incentive to do something I’d been even slightly reluctant about and then say, “yep, that’s it! I didn’t want to make lunch, and I did, so that’s a +1!” It was within the letter of the goal, but it wasn’t what I was really going for.

Huh, good to know.

Just wait until I start telling people I’ll do something “now in a minute” or something is “over by there”… #taffy

1 Like