Beeminder Forum

shanaqui's Beeminder Journal

I did have a dunwanna goal! And yep, it was for when I just didn’t want to do something, although it was a do-more goal with +1 whenever I felt like I really did not wanna and I did the thing anyway. I ended up archiving it because there was no chance of me ever derailing – I couldn’t think of a way to formulate it that was quite robust enough about what counted.

Derailments: /neatscience; I didn’t get round to it in time, and by the time I was about to derail I didn’t have the time to put in the research to do the right kind of post. $10 fee for not prepping ahead? Okay.

New goals: /nouptime, /breakfasttime, /cuddleclair and /nosetonose have been reborn with +6 per week. That’s mostly just so if I do slip and don’t cuddle a bun for a day, it doesn’t stay permanently in emergency days. I need to remember to add an autoratchet to these so that doesn’t also attract vast amounts of safety buffer.

I’ve also now got a /craftathon goal. Me and Lisa got tons and tons done when we were crafting together frantically before Christmas, and my /crafttogether goal was meant to be making sure we keep doing that. We are, but the goal is in an awkward place where it’s always just about manageable, but only lets me keep up with my bookblanket, not enough other stuff. So /craftathon is now enforcing a Saturday or Sunday spent mostly crafting together. And I should run, because that’s today…

Changes to existing goals: /gym is becoming more /regularwalks, but I don’t think I’ll bother changing the name. Gym membership is expensive and walking round our local park is cheap. :laughing: Re: /enteringmeals, which I mentioned last week, as of Monday (I work well with arbitrary deadlines) it’s full details of everything being entered into my food log, or no +1 for that meal.

Other comments: /gameofbooks2019 is going really, ridiculously well. I’ve clearly got the points system pretty down pat this year, since most books are averaging out to being worth about the same points, once length/interest/time on my backlog etc are all taken into account. It does mean that /writethosereviews and /bookblanket are never coming due, though, so possibly that needs a rethink.

Why? I think I’d derail on that frequently.

So British :uk:
This raises a good point: there are goals that you can do last minute, and then goals that take advance planning. Is it worth treating them differently (putting the widgets on different parts of your screen, or indicating in goalnames)? Or maybe beeminding an auxiliary goal (or changing the goal to) “advance plan for goal X”?

Like I have a “get haircut” goal. If the deadline is on a day or at a time she’s not open, maybe it should count to text her to make an appt?

Because I have depression and anxiety and there are a lot of things I fundamentally do not want to do, starting from getting out of bed every morning. Or working instead of reading (often many times a day!). Or keeping on with this bookmark cross-stitch when I just wanna run off and cross-stitch this tree with rabbits. Or just leaving it for Lisa instead of cleaning out the hutch.

It was too easy to just say, “Yeah, I was kinda resistant to that, +1!”

It is? :laughing: And btw, I’m glad you did not call me English. Full marks!

It’s possible I need a second goal for doing reading and research related to my science blog. :thinking: It’s certainly something I could use a reminder for.

You made me realise why my version of the dunwanna goal does work for me:

Because for me that includes “log that +1 for buying a free nope ticket right now” for I have log that immediately to not forget it. Turned out this is already quite substantial motivation to just do that thing.
I did not anticipate that this goal would have this effect but I’m glad it does. Which is why I also never derailed on it despite having autoratcheting turned on.

Thinking more about this, this reminds me of a (different) technique to educating little kids: When you offer them an “alternative” to what they should be doing that isn’t really an alternative, tricking them into thinking they have a choice where they really don’t :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, here’s my goal:

Which in some ways is the successor of this one:

Given what you said about your dunwanna goal I’m curious to learn whether doing it the other way round would work better for you. In either case, hope this helps and thanks for posting this journal!

Hmm, yes, that might be a good way of doing it. Avoids the temptation of manufacturing or inflating a dunwanna in order to make it count… yeeees…

I was very confused reading this. Then I read your exchange with @phi and it made sense. You were thinking back at the end of the day and logging a +1 for anything you did that you were resistant to. Like @phi said, I was thinking you’d have to log it at the time, not that you could go back to think of something.

That’s amazing and makes me want to try it!

Yeah, we always say “around to it” in the US :us: round is only the shape of a circle.

Oh no, I did log it at the time usually, but because it was a do-more goal, there was always an incentive to do something I’d been even slightly reluctant about and then say, “yep, that’s it! I didn’t want to make lunch, and I did, so that’s a +1!” It was within the letter of the goal, but it wasn’t what I was really going for.

Huh, good to know.

Just wait until I start telling people I’ll do something “now in a minute” or something is “over by there”… #taffy

So it did help! Then that seems legit - you just need a higher rate, like +10 each day instead of +1!

Can you post bunny pictures here? I wanna see em :rabbit2:

Sure, this once! (They each have a twitter account, for general bunny cravings… :wink:)

Heeeeere’s Hulk, trying to hide from me in the worst place imaginable for hiding from me:

Breakfast:

Here’s Biscuit, trying to figure out what I’m reading:

And here’s Eclair, chillin’ like a villain:

[Totally relevant for the forum. Here are the four main causes of my akrasia…]

So a day early, as I don’t like anything to go into beemergency mode if I can help it:

Derailments: /upanddressed, because although I was up, I got distracted and was still in my jammies at 2pm… And /kingdomhearts again, because it’s pledgeless and the first thing to go. I might start letting it charge me again. It’s not a critical goal in any way, but I was making more time for myself when it was a thing I had to do.

New goals: None that I can think of.

Changes to existing goals: None that I can think of, apart from /kingdomhearts going back to having a pledge.

Other comments: I don’t think /ufos is working as I’d hoped to make me finish things. So the list is now locked: I cannot add any other projects. I can work on other projects, but I can’t make them part of this goal now.

I did finish a project this week, apart from washing it, pressing it, backing it, and turning it into the bookmark it’s meant to be. (That sounds like a lot! But the stitching is done.)

[Pattern credit: HeartyCraftology.]