New feature: Dashboard view

All five of these are fixed and will be deployed shortly:

• autodata fetch bug (thanks @tomjen)
  • tabindexes on buttons (thanks @insti - though Safari ignores this)
  • the placeholder text showing the most recent datapoint’s comment (thanks @erickthered )
  • timestamp of last datapoint shows on mousing over the checkmark or lack thereof (thanks @andrewlu)
  • disappearing checkmark (thanks @bee for actually fixing)
2 Likes

@apb, would it be possible to un-mix the regular and backburnered goals, and put the backburnered ones at the end of the list? (at least when sorted by Deadline – not sure what makes the most sense for the other sort options)

1 Like

Can this timestamp be made to show in the user’s localtime?

2 Likes

They’re still a bit wrong, I get, data, comment, NEXT data, PREVIOUS submit,

I suspect this is due to duplicate tabindex values.

1 Like

This is actually intentional. We want to nudge you to ether restart or archive such goals.

1 Like

While we’re there, why not display the value and comment too? I keep loading individual goal pages to see what I last entered and when.

Try omitting the verbose text of “last datapoint entered” and go with a three line version:

2016-03-02 11:59
“optional comment”

Particularly since most of my goals are API-fed autodata, I see only an irrelevant ‘fetch data’ button where the data entry field might otherwise be, so I don’t even see the last entered value.

2 Likes

@apb, the “Optional comment” -> “Last-entered comment” placeholder text only seems to be showing up for goals created recently. Is that intentional? (I assumed it hadn’t made it to production yet for some reason, but I was surprised to see it work on a new goal I just made today) Is it possible to get this working on goals that have been in progress for a while?

Failing that, I also like @philip’s suggestion about the mouseover adjustment.

Thanks!

1 Like

Actually I take that back…maybe it’s only showing the system-generated/fake data points as placeholder text? I added a manual data point to my new goal, and now it’s back to saying “Optional comment” instead of “initial datapoint of 0 on the 2nd”

1 Like

It was, this appears to be fixed now.

1 Like

We’re intentionally not showing the comment if it’s the “initial datapoint of 0…” datapoint. This is for newbees so that they know what that field is for.

2 Likes

@apb: When submitting a new value from the dashboard, the color and other numbers update upon refresh, but the placeholder text doesn’t update until a full page reload. Is it possible to get the placeholder text to also update via AJAX upon data point submission? Thanks!

3 Likes

We got a bit further down the rabbit hole on the dashboard than intended and we want to pause development on it now so we can get back to higher priority things. So I want to collect here the loose ends and wishlist for when this bubbles back to top priority.

1. Whether to include a Today/Yesterday dropdown (discussed in “dashboard the default?” beemail)
  2. Ditch the cog icons?
  3. Problems with sort-by-recent-data for Misfit and other autodata?
  4. Mobile-friendly CSS
  5. Align bare-mins
  6. Countdown to most urgent goal permanently at the top
  7. Dealing with backburnered goals better
  8. The sort threshold feature or ability to pin goals to the top or something
  9. Makeshift friend feature (long story, only matters to @dreev & @bee for now)
  10. Warn on unsubmitted data (HT @mary; might count as important bug. #UVI)
  11. Ajaxify the placeholder text (HT @pds above)

Wikifying this so we can keep updating it. (If you’d like to contribute but don’t yet have wiki edit permission, ping me and I’ll hook you up.)

3 Likes

There’s a Beeminder wiki? Where?

Oh, no, I just meant I set “wiki=true” on the above recap of the loose ends and wish list. Which just means that others can edit it. Or at least it’s a way for me to declare my intention to keep editing it as y’all remind me of ideas not currently incorporated there.

This is a minor point, but currently the dashboard view has no link to archived goals, nor any info on # of freebees left (I know there is a plan to change the freebee system, so maybe this is less important).

1 Like

Not a minor point at all! I think that a “list view” of our goals should include all that information, as an alternative “all goals” view to the gallery.

I think that may be distinct from an “operational dashboard” which should only contain the goals that need some attention. Today’s beemergencies, what’s coming tomorrow, what fails the @drtall lint rules, etc.

Because this would be a much shorter list, it may not need sorting or filtering. (Some of @mary’s objections may arise partly from having so very many goals (me too!).)

The dashboard should be firmly focussed on doing, and doing today. It’d also be a great place for us to add our own dailies or mix-in Complice intentions, or whatever.

Which makes it something new in our world. Up to now, we’ve had single-goal views, and all-goals views.

1 Like

You know, I wonder if this distinction is at the heart of a lot of divergent requests in dashboarding.

Can we try to list the types?

1. Operational: What stuff do I need to do today? How much? etc.
  2. Regular/Default: When are all my current goals due? What’s coming up soon? What’s safe for a while? etc.
  3. Nostalgic: What have I accomplished using Beeminder? How is my progress trending for certain goals over the last month/quarter/year? What things have I historically struggled with? etc.
4 Likes

My own dashboard is a mix of all 3 of the types I listed, with Slack integrations to help out the operational awareness.

For me, something like the Android list widget is enough. A list of goals with how many safe days are left. I don’t really need to see how much is needed for an additional safe day, and I don’t need to enter in any data from the dashboard itself. However, I’m fine with the dashboard as it is now. The extra data and functionality don’t bother me.

1 Like

4. Public/Showcase. One of the nice things about the gallery view is that it’s shareable and discoverable, whether as prideful trophy-case or as visible commitment. We could double-down on those aspects in a view that has a purer purpose.

3 Likes