Autistic Inertia

As I’m sitting here paralyzed currently, I’ll at least add a few cents. :slight_smile:

First of all, thanks for the links. Can’t wait to read them!

To add to this, people on Tiktok and some literature have been calling this executive dysfunction as well. I wrote about it in this thread on ADHD. Other keywords that could send you down an interesting Wikipedia-hole / Google-hole:

(I hope I’m not linking any problematic resources… If I do, let me know, ya never know with the puzzle people unfortunately.)

Basically, I have had a few insights into my own inertia, some through people sharing on Tiktok, some from conversations. From the links, you may already be wondering why I linked bottom-up thinking in a post about problems with task initiation. So let me talk about that right away. I have often been stuck in “I have to do X but before I do X I have to do Y” - paralysis. One huge example is the gym when I’m having a bad brain day.

1. I lie in bed, knowing the gym would do me well.
  2. I have to first shower to go to the gym and not disgust everyone
  3. I can’t shower before the gym, because I’ll have to shower after the gym.

Now repeat 1-3 ad nauseum. The “do X before” and analyzing things 'til they fall apart seem to be linked to the tendency of bottom-up thinking and I have heard a few accounts how it’s linked to the inability to start for them.

(I look forward to cringing at myself, because I’m probably just repeating something from the articles, because, if I’ve learned one thing: No single experience is unique in my life.)

7 Likes