Beeminder Penalties as Indulgences

Anyone ever decide to deliberately derail on a goal and consider the penalty paid to Beeminder as expiation for your transgression?

I admit I’ve been doing this a fair bit lately, especially with my restaurant/delivery goal. “I really should be making a lunch to bring with us instead of planning to eat at the coffee shop, but oh well. It’s the holidays! At least those nice people at Beeminder will get $5 out of my bad behavior!”

Not quite sure how to feel about this, heh. Am I the only one who thinks of Beeminder penalties this way?

2 Likes

Guilty as charged :slight_smile:

3 Likes

[melt!] As long as when you step back (ie, not just in the moment) it still feels worth it overall! If not, bump up that pledge cap! :grin:

Also, relevant blog post from @bee: http://blog.beeminder.com/beenice

2 Likes

I haven’t ever thought “at least the nice people at Beeminder will get my $5”, even though they are nice people.

I am, however, someone who often thinks of derails as Bee does in the Beenice post–otherwise I get too bummed about derails, which is very counterproductive for me.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve definitely made the executive decision that it was worth paying the price, and didn’t feel guilty about it. I made that decision once on one of my $90 goals, too… It was worth it.

Actually, that’s probably a good way to figure out the “right” price threshold for a goal: how often will you be willing to pay that price to get yourself off the hook?

2 Likes