Death to Zombies (and the OMG label)

Sorry we failed to answer this! I think she just thought the term “mendoza” was ridiculous, or maybe especially abbreviating it “MEN”, which, fair enough.

Anyway, some updates…

Labels we’ve removed:

• NRP – covered by either BUG + ADO, BUG + help_wanted, or just BUG with “TODO” where the steps to reproduce go
  • aok – use nix + zap for this
  • MEN – replaced by GitHub’s milestone feature

And we’ve replaced zzz, as a reason for closing a gissue, with ZzZ. Same concept, just that snoozed gissues are left open. That was per @mary. (I disagreed at the time but now like her way better.)

And when in doubt between two labels, use both. Common example: PEA + SKY means “no idea how hard this will be”, typically awaiting the assessment of someone more technically clueful, like @bee… Or BUG + RFE means “maybe counts as a bug, maybe just a feature request” – probably for me as chief decider person to decide.

Ok, continuing with things that only @bee and @adamwolf and I care about…

(feel free, Bee and Adam, to skip ahead to the “Maybe let’s just say…” part)

What To Do About Zombies

We have 57 zombies shambling (plus 3 more in Beebrain I mean Beebraaaaiiins). :scream: :zombie:

Many/most aren’t really regressions and are just tagged that speculatively/tentatively just in case, awaiting (dis)confirmation. But still, that’s bad and we’re losing points on the Joel Test. Gulp. Here are things we could do.

1. Do a zombie-only sprint

The point of zombies is that they’re unacceptably bad/embarrassing (see PDP, etc) and when they appear, they preempt other things. So let’s bite the bullet on that and refuse to touch anything but zombies for 2 weeks. Part of that can be removing ZOM tags when we have any excuse to do so. It’ll be pretty great to be at ZOM Zero!

(Open philosophical question: Does a regression not count as a regression anymore after sufficiently much time has passed? In some ways that feels true but also awfully slippery slopey. Like we really, really want to not let that happen in the first place and… game theory something something. I guess I have a Bad Feeling about un-ZOMming something purely for being too stale and am tentatively saying no to that. :cloud_with_lightning:)

2. Philosophical stance: ZOMs are orthogonal to sprint planning

Zombies are beeminded and redqueened and that’s just one of the background things like beemails and meetings and kvetching about noobs in #supsup or whatever that happens in parallel with the sprints. It could simplify sprint planning and gissue curation to trust that all zombies are being dealt with separately, maybe?

3. I’m overthinking this. All gissues are fair game in sprint planning.

The bigger the ZOM backlog the more bias we should have for including more ZOMs in the sprint but other than that, what we’re doing is fine.

Maybe let’s just say with 57 zombies shambling, we need about 10 in this sprint – one per weekday. To that end, I just added some more ZOMs to the IDEAS column on the sprint board. Feel free to swap them for better ZOMs!

One way or another, we do need to work our way to ZOM Zero and stay there.

Corpora animatus delenda est!

2 Likes