Documentation of aggregation methods would be nice

Per a daily beemail by @dreev

Thanks to user kyshoc for suggesting a new aggday method that turned out to be super easy to add to the list. I’m not sure I agree it’s a good idea but here’s the use case:

Auto-ratcheting (setting “max safe days”) to never let you accumulate safety buffer only prevents you from getting whole days off. Even set to zero, it still lets you almost get a day off, like having just one more step to get the next day. This new aggday method prevents you from getting more safety buffer at all (than you already have). Like if your road is set to 100/day then anything more than 100 that you report for a day just doesn’t get plotted.

It’s kind of like using a binary goal of “did it or not” but letting you store the richer data about how much exactly you did. The reason I don’t like it is that the graph is not plotting your actual data. But I’ll be interested to hear if anyone else likes it.

It’s called skatesum because it’s used for auto-summing goals like do-more where all datapoints for a day are summed and the cumulative total is plotted, but then that daily sum is capped at the daily rate. So if you’re skating the edge of the road now (meaning the bare minimum due is the full daily average you have to maintain) then you’ll permanently be skating it.

PS: After explaining all that it occurs to me that the right way to do this is to improve and generalize the auto-ratchet feature. But skatesum is what we have in the meantime. If anyone requests it I can throw in a version for non-auto-summing roads.

6 Likes