The extreme part of this is saying “you can keep your money but we’ll delete your whole account”. But it’s ultimately the only leverage we have if want to offer maximum possible weaselproofing. Perhaps that means we shouldn’t offer that. But here’s the full idea:
Instead of a single “weaselproof me” checkbox, you choose your level of weaselproofing:
- None (default)
- Make me jump through hoops like providing screenshots or having friends vouch for me
- Make me offer serious evidence like doctor’s notes
- All derailments are final 
 We can’t and won’t actually ever keep money you don’t ultimately choose to give us. But to uphold our sworn duty to weaselproof you at the level you’ve chosen, we’ll also delete your account (!). So insisting on your money back is tantamount to admitting that you don’t have sufficient integrity for Beeminder to help you and so we simply break up.
As if that’s not enough webcopy with the long footnote, we might also want a weaselproofing FAQ like so:
What if a derailment is unambiguously not legit but I can’t prove it at the level I weaselproofed myself at?
That can feel frustrating but there’s no way to solve that without defeating the point of weaselproofing. Hopefully Beeminder is providing so much motivational value that getting charged once in a while is more than worth it!
What if I fabricate evidence?
This is us rolling our eyes at you. But the time and emotional cost of that should itself be a deterrent. More to the point, if you can imagine doing that, it sounds like you want the next higher level of weaselproofing!
Can I turn weaselproofing off, or drop to a lower level?
As usual in Beeminderland, the answer is that you can after the akrasia horizon, so starting next week. And the interface itself doesn’t allow it [nor does it exist at all yet, I’m just trying to keep the bar as low as possible for shipping this if we decide it’s worth doing!] so you’ll have to ask us nicely. We’re also anxious for feedback on why you didn’t like the level of weaselproofing you picked so we’ll grill you on that before dropping your weaselproofing.
Finally, here’s an anonymous poll to give a sense of where people fall on this weaselproofing continuum:
- I’d never opt in to any weaselproofing
- Existing binary weaselproofing is plenty for me
- I’d value stricter weaselproofing than Beeminder now offers
- I didn’t realize I could just “insist” on getting my money back and you’d cave and it’s probably bad to let on that that’s true
- I’d value the most extreme weaselproofing where I can only weasel by deleting my whole account
- Don’t offer the account-deletion weaselproofing – I might actually do it!