"Goal statement" input type [question/suggestion]

So the only thing preventing that is the fact that you can’t use the exact same slug? I doubt that that would deter someone who was willing to game the system in that way.

1 Like

I had a goal to blog more that was hooked up to draft, but it turned out to be a bad way to do technical blogging, because it didn’t count when I was tracking down sources, writing code, reviewing papers, etc so I ended up archiving it and running a new goal with just track time instead, but I had already used my slug.

A workaround could be that you could only reuse a goal that had been achieved without derailing.

1 Like

“Earlybird” is the best of both worlds here. It’s both concise and general enough to make changes to the goal and it still makes sense. Changing the goal from getting to work by 9 to getting up by 7:30 allows you to use the same goal and slug perfectly. It’s still a goal focusing on being an earlybird. You could focus on any aspect of your morning routine and still call it “earlybird” and it would still make sense.

1 Like

In this case that works, because both goals appear to be just a binary 1 or 0 (although you still wouldn’t have any graphic indication of when you switched from one goal definition to another). But if you switch the type of data that’s entered, for example you used to just enter a 1 or 0 for whether you got to work by 9:00 as a do-more goal, but now you want to change it so that you enter the time you wake up as a decimal as a do-less goal, then the transition from one goal definition to the other is much less smooth.

1 Like

I have to admit to having skipped a lot of the discussion here, so I’m sorry if this turns out to be redundant. I agree with peppertoni from way above. I like having the two fields (though, lately I’ve been slacking on using them both). I think of the fine print as part of my contract and, weirdly, I guess, I don’t want my actual S.M.A.R.T. goal to be in there. I think of the goal statement as being the when/how and the fine print as being the “these are the outs I am allowed”. I’d actually like the division to be a little more obvious and the fine print to have a little more bite. I’d like old fine print to be saved, for example, until 7 days after a change in the fine print, so that we have to change the fine print well in advance of a derail. I’d also like to be able to tick a box so that my supporters receive my fine print in the event of a derail that gets waved off due to appealing to fine print. (But not in all cases, for privacy control.) The fine print is part of the contract we have with you guys, and I feel like it should be less a note-taking area (which I’ve started using it for) and more a place where we really spell out the things we’re saying we want you to hold us to.

4 Likes