Grayson's Beeminder Journal

Progress Update – 2023 Week 3

Meta

Still idly musing about a way to set up my “yes is the good answer” goals to give me the same kind of visual oomph my “no is the good answer” goals can give me, without having to turn them into negative questions. Pretty sure there is no way to do it, because I’m abusing (or, to put it positively, finding creative ways to use) the way Beeminder’s color-coding system interacts with PPR-able goals. But it would be gratifying if I did find a way :).

Am I making enough progress on my foreign languages?

Yes. I dialed back my goals to Minimum Viable Success levels and have been doing them consistently all week. So far, so good! A side benefit is that by doing only a few minutes a day in the grammar workbooks, I revisit the same concept several days in a row, which can only be good for retention.

Am I doing enough to stay healthy?

Yes, but I entered a behavior-enhancing No for this one anyway. That’s because last Monday I lamed out on my second daily walk. The derail only costs me $5, so it isn’t financially painful (more a toe-stub than a broken toe, you might say, if you were tired and prone to fanciful metaphors); rather, I’m using it to signal myself that I should take myself seriously on both sides of the equation: doer-me should trust the system I have set up for myself, and orchestrator-me should be vigilant about setting up tasks to be MVS and not a jot more ambitious. This derail raps both sets of knuckles! Efficient! Also, it’s my first foray into deliberately using derails as a force for good (instead of haplessly undergoing them as a sign of failure).

Now, to officially answer the second half of the question, so this goal counts for my meta-review goal: what can I do to fix the “No”? Answer: do whatever Things tells me is up next, make sure the things I tell Things to tell me to do next are MVS, and expect to pay $10 next time I violate either.

Is anything falling through the cracks?

No.

Am I feeling overwhelmed?

No. MVSing my language goals last week did the trick. Sweet! Way to go, Grayson! Well done.

Am I thriving at church?

Yes.

2 Likes