I've been inserting fake data into my beeminder goals and I'm looking for more accountability

Yes, I have the same problem – I can’t use my phone as an alarm or else I’ll spend the whole morning in bed on my phone. I have a dedicated alarm clock to address this.

1 Like

I also have a dedicated alarm clock! … and an alarm on my phone. And a beeminder goal. :disappointed:

1 Like

Okay so I’ve stopped using Beeminder entirely for now. I’ve had a fair few good days. But still some bad days (Thursday night being my latest night this week).

There’s a few different things that seem to spiral a bit: Late in the evening I have lower inhibitions, so I’m more likely to snack a lot on sugary foods, which in turn keeps me awake so I go to bed later, which means I’m tired the next day which makes both those things worse. This also ties in to binge-watching stuff on my laptop, and I’ll stay in my living room binge-watching stuff and eating much past my bedtime, so that even if I don’t use my phone in bed when I do go to bed, it’s already way past my bedtime.

Also being tired in the morning makes me not want to do exercise in the morning, so I’m much less likely to do any exercise whatsoever. This in turn means I miss out on the better sleep that is gained from exercise.

2 Likes

Last week went well, and I had a fairly good sleep routine (I was actually moving it 30min earlier each day).

The first three days this week I kept my 8am alarm, but I didn’t keep my bedtime, and then I kinda broke on Thursday and Friday and didn’t get to bed on time, was binging YouTube and binging food, didn’t do the work I was planning to do, didn’t exercise, etc.

I’ve booked a 9am slot at a library on Tuesday, and I’m hoping that a bit more of an external schedule will help me keep everything else on track.

1 Like

The trick is to “get back at it” after falling off and to do this sooner rather than later. That might be a stronger skill than “never fall off”.

That week at the library did actually work really well. I’m trying to stop eating by 21:30 (which I have done today, and yesterday). I’m also trying to not eat whilst watching YouTube. To facilitate that I’m proactively trying to read whilst eating (as opposed to watching YouTube) because it’s difficult to replace doing something with not doing something, and easier to replace doing something with doing a different thing.

I’ve also been successful with not using my phone in bed in the evening. And in the past three weeks I’ve only a couple of times used it in bed in the morning.

Reminds me of this other thread: what about counting how often you chew per bite? It has a couple of positive side effects. If you get bored by that count bites per meal and chews per bite. If you get bored by that count breaths during the meal plus the other two.

1 Like