New design: please bring functionality that was removed

Maybe the language of the UI should change then, from “can break” to “will break” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually already made that change, it would be deployed if the internet weren’t taking a sick day today… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To go back a bit on my original post, items 1 and 2 are now covered, many thanks! The gallery is usable again.

@dreev, @apb that would be great if it could happen as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This was not really a point it’s possible to disagree with, as it was a description of how I used the old UI - albeit phrased in the general. I can definitely believe that it caused problems, possibly bigger ones than I see now, but that’s not my experience.

At any rate, what I’d mostly like now is a better understanding of how the fields are conceptualized internally - the spec doesn’t really describe what the intended uses of goalname, goaldescription, and fineprint are.

As best I can tell:

• goalname = The shorthand reference for the goal that’s shown everywhere. One word (no spaces). First 16 characters (or a set width?) displayed in all caps on dashboard. Full url is displayed at top of goal page. Example use: “Pushups”

• goaldescription = Slightly more information about the goal. Not displayed in dashboard, but full description available by hovering over goalname. Only the characters which fit in the description entry box are displayed at top of goal page (number varies based on letter width). In gallery view, goaldescription is appended to goalname - total characters displayed are then limited to a fixed width (with full description in hovertext). Example use: “Do more of them”

• fineprint = Nitty-gritty details. Contains the legacy goal statement. Only visible under the “Settings” tab as an editable field. Does not render URLs as clickable links.

The example use for goaldescription doesn’t really clarify anything for me - “Do more” is pretty obvious from the graph already. So what information is this field intended to contain?

2 Likes

We know. We’re using the old terms (slug and title) because we like the way it worked before better.

That said, now that I’ve acknowledged that’s why I’m doing it, it seems obviously ineffective, so I’m going to use your terms from now on if I remember.

Actually… the gallery isn’t bad now. Many of my descriptions can probably just be deleted as they’re repeats of the goalname.

If you made clicking toggle between goalname and description (like the countdown vs. deadline does) on the dashboard and the goal page, and made it sticky, I think everyone would stop complaining. Not sure whether you’d find that palatable.

Can I suggest considering the use of color instead? I was actually kind of surprised that the goalnames don’t use the safe-days colors like the buttons and graph outlines do. (Of course, you’d have to be careful about the font weight, or use it as a background or outline rather than text color, to keep it legible.)

4 Likes

You mean togglability? If we added that would you prefer the new UI to the old one?

Well, we’d rather improve the dashboard data entry until you prefer it to the old, somewhat opaque quick-add box.

I endorse your synopses! We intend fine print to be shown publicly (unless you mark it private). For goalname and description, I’d just set them such that displaying “goalname: description” is most useful.

1 Like

Togglability between slugs (names) and titles (descriptions) would definitely resolve the issue for me. As shown in my screenshots in the original post, I use spaces, parentheses, points, etc in my titles to provide not just a more verbose (human understandable) title but in some cases also the current rate of the goal (e.g. “5hx4” for “5 hours in 4 days of the week” on a RescueTime goal). I have exactly 0 need to see the slug(name) in the UI :slight_smile:
That said, showing both would be tolerable. Being able to toggle between the two would be ideal :slight_smile:

By the way, in the goal view there is again 0 need to see my own username so there is definitely room for the title (description)

In that case I would

1. allow more dates in the drop-down (at least 7-10 days in the past, not just yesterday and today)
  2. change the layout to allow a bigger input box (for example the +/- buttons can be be smaller and stacked on the left)

thank you

1 Like

I’m thinking there should instead by a way to toggle to advanced entry. But I’m not sure how to do that without adding clutter.

Make it a 3rd entry in the date drop-down? “Today, Yesterday, Advanced Entry”?

3 Likes

No, I was asking if it is official that this won’t be getting anymore work invested until after the Todoist/Paypal work is done.

I feel like togglability is just sort of papering over the problem. Will I be able to set my goal description on the new goal screen? Or will it keep being populated as the goalname or be populated blank? With the toggle, will it still be displayed in all caps and limited to very few displayed characters?

I’m worried about descriptions not being a first-class feature and suffering the same fate is integery down the road.

I think it’s more important to keep cleaning up things from the redesign before thinking about todoist/paypal. That would include

• integery (which is totally not dead yet, just haven’t gotten to it).
  • getting people somewhat satisfied about where we are with goal names/descriptions.
  • toggleability on the dashboard, respecting case
  • responsive dashboard width

You can already (as of yesterday) set your goal description when creating a new goal.

4 Likes

this is an interesting idea.
i also miss back in the pre-release beeta days when it was a full datepicker calendar, that would make me miss advanced entry less

(keyboard shortcut to popup a quickadd menu anybody? anybody? bueller?)