Please don't let me cheat on "do less" goals!

Very much agreed, except I want to quickly point out that it’s not as bad as it sounds. Do Less goals do still enforce hewing to the precommitted rate of the yellow brick road. In other words, the loophole you’re referring to is super dumb but not actually a slippery slope.

Repeating the gory details from a footnote in another forum thread:

The criterion for derailment is “in the red yesterday and also today”. Which sounds weird but it makes it simple to test at midnight: it’s now the new day so did I make it back on the road in time or not? For Do More goals that’s exactly the right test. For Do Less goals it means that if you exceed the road by less than the daily rate then at midnight when it checks it says “you were in the red at the end of yesterday but now today you’re orange, so you’re ok”. This doesn’t totally ruin the point of the Do Less goal. You still have to maintain the average rate you committed to. But if you take this to the akratic extreme it means you can do twice the daily rate every other day (and nothing in between). So if you were right on the top edge yesterday then the next morning you’ll start right at the centerline. That means you can do one day’s worth to hit the top edge and another day’s worth into the red. The next day you’ll flatline back to the very top edge of the road again (where doing anything >0 will put you in the red and derail you since you ended the previous day in the red) and the cycle can repeat.

You probably did not want to know that. (Like, literally, awareness of this loophole can harm your beeminding, exactly as you describe. Memetic hazard!)