Sensitivity to reward and to risk

Hi,
rationally, losing $2 or gaining $2 should each motivate us exactly the
same amount. Most people, however, feel the sting of losing $2 much more
than the reward of gaining $2 - we are risk averse. A minority, though,
including me, are the other way around - and I imagine that those who feel
rewards more keenly than risks would be more likely to be akratic, so there
might be a higher proportion of us among beeminder users (possible
psychology experiment here - is low risk aversion linked to akrasia?).
For those of us who respond more to reward than to risk, I wonder if it
might be more effective if we prepaid beeminder say $100 for 50 days, and
it put $2 back in our account each day we stay on the road, and also
still bills us if we go off - so we get the benefit of both stick and
carrot.
(Beeminder won’t actually want to be making credit card transactions
every day because they cost money - presumably they’d want to store it up
in a balance that you can withdraw from as-and-when)
Does this make sense to you guys?
D

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to akratics+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Sems like a usecase for bitcoin - inexpensive Daily transactions?

Reto

On May 1, 2014, at 21:26, indigovervet@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,
rationally, losing $2 or gaining $2 should each motivate us exactly the same amount. Most people, however, feel the sting of losing $2 much more than the reward of gaining $2 - we are risk averse. A minority, though, including me, are the other way around - and I imagine that those who feel rewards more keenly than risks would be more likely to be akratic, so there might be a higher proportion of us among beeminder users (possible psychology experiment here - is low risk aversion linked to akrasia?).
For those of us who respond more to reward than to risk, I wonder if it might be more effective if we prepaid beeminder say $100 for 50 days, and it put $2 back in our account each day we stay on the road, and also still bills us if we go off - so we get the benefit of both stick and carrot.
(Beeminder won’t actually want to be making credit card transactions every day because they cost money - presumably they’d want to store it up in a balance that you can withdraw from as-and-when)
Does this make sense to you guys?
D

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Akratics Anonymous” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to akratics+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.