shanaqui's Beeminder Journal: 2021

Derailments:

• The good streak was bound to end someday…
  • /hollywoodhomicide - Not a book I was enjoying, so I set this to archive and let it derail, as discussed in the reading goal dilemma thread.
  • /raybearer - I am not 100% loving this book, which probably explains how I came to forget all about it today during my day off. It’s not bad, just not really holding my attention; it’s a little young, I guess.

New goals:

• /sciencefictions - A reading goal for Science Fictions by Stuart Ritchie, about fraud and bias in science. Very good read – so much so that I actually finished it in 24 hours. So this goal is also now archived.
  • /reinventingthewheel - For reading Bronwen and Francis Percival’s book on “milk, microbes and […] real cheese”. Interesting so far, but also snobby about what counts as “real cheese”. Standard reading goal rules!
  • /checkmatetomurder - Reading goal for E.C.R. Lorac’s book of that title; already finished and archived. Predictably fun, since it was Lorac!

Changes to existing goals:

• /andonlytodeceive - Finished and archived! Pretty fun read.
  • /feedback-backlog - The one and only confusion-backlog goal, just renamed to match the tag I use in emails! And it’s done done done and dusted. Obviously categorising feedback is an ongoing task (which is in fact reflected in how long this took me – I didn’t isolate the backlog.

Notes:

• The reading goal dilemma thread is a good discussion of how to handle goals that might be at odds with your larger goals (like, in my case, “only read when it’s fun”).
1 Like