shanaqui's Beeminder Journal

NOTE: This post contains health details! I do not particularly want advice on these. You may also not enjoy me being frank about it (though it’s not like I’m giving the gory details). You’ve been warned!

Derailments:

• I think I derailed on /fastfood this week? So there’s that. Wife felt like baking so the oven was busy, and I don’t have a better excuse. :joy:

New goals:

• /cranberry, because I’m back to getting frequent UTIs, and various things in cranberries are supposed to help. I don’t love cranberry juice (though the Ocean Spray Whole Berries one is surprisingly bearable for me!) so I have bought cranberry pills instead. There isn’t good data on whether cranberries do really help with cystitis, either chronic or acute, but the NHS do actually include the suggestion about cranberry juice so… worth a try. Maybe drinking cranberry juice helps most because of the hydration, though, or even placebo effect, in which case the pills are pointless. I can but try, however.
  • For the same reason and because caffeine can irritate the bladder, /drinklesscoke was born, allowing me three glasses of coke a week but no more. My dentist will be pleased too.

Changes to existing goals:

• I’ve turned off the autoratchet on most of my daily goals so I can start working toward never being in beemergency mode. I haven’t set up an urgency load thing with @adamwolf yet, but hopefully soon!
  • I’ve scooched my deadlines back to 9pm now.
  • I’ve increased my /water goal to 750ml a day – which is still a tiny little step, but tiny steps still get you places. You can guess why I have done this from previous comments in this post, methinks.
  • Finally, I’ve increased my /bathtime goal to 2/week, because it turns out that hot baths in the middle of the day are potentially helpful for people with depression not just because you pamper yourself or whatever, but because it helps to regulate your body temperature (often lower than average in people with depression), and in turn that helps to regulate your circadian rhythm and help you get better sleep [1]. It mostly sounds like a good excuse for a bath with a book, to me, but it’s also worth trying for my issues with sleeping!

TaskRatchet Fails:

• N/a.

Other comments:

• Reminder that I do not want health advice; I have trimethoprim and plenty of coping mechanisms for cystitis which are actually recommended by a doctor.

[1] Naumann, J., Sadaghiani, C., Kruza, I., Denkel, L., Kienle, G. and Huber, R. (2018). Effects and Feasibility of Hyperthermic Baths for Patients with Depressive Disorder: A Randomized Controlled Clinical Pilot Trial.

5 Likes