Time zone changes when traveling

I have lots of thoughts about the Beeminder day vs calendar day problem but much fewer thoughts about timezones, other than to agree with @philip.

Maybe this is like the Copenhagen interpretation of ethics: No matter what we do, timezone-wise, it will sometimes lead to derailments, so it’s safest to do nothing. Suppose we auto-update your timezone to match what your phone or browser says. Pretty non-crazy thing to do! But then if you travel west, we’ve made your goals due earlier in body time. Not (necessarily) fair! Especially if you’re down to the wire when an hour is lopped off the countdown timer. If we don’t auto-update your timezone and you travel east then your goals are all due earlier in clock time. Also not necessarily fair!

But besides Beeminder seeming less culpable in the version where we don’t touch the user-chosen timezone, I think I prefer it as a user. I already mentally keep track of my home timezone for other reasons when traveling so it doesn’t feel like too much of an additional burden to keep in mind that my Beeminder goals also keep using that timezone.

Of course I may just think that because I only ever travel east. My Beeminder goals are always due at a nominally later time when I travel.

Now I’m curious:

Should Beeminder auto-update your timezone when you travel?

• Yes, consistent clock time is paramount
  • No, don’t presume to change the timezone I set
0 voters

PS: Fun thread about DST stuff:

2 Likes