What is a nice zeno polling start time?

Assuming my goal deadline is 24:00, what is the best time to start my zeno polling at if I want to receive my zeno notifications at nice round numbers?

I use powers of two, so 2, 4, 8, or 16 hours before my deadline, depending on how many reminders I want (or expect) to receive on a typical day.

So for a midnight goal, thatā€™s 10pm, 8pm, 4pm, or 8am. That last will get you reminders at each of the other times too.

For my experimental goals with middle-of-day deadlines, Iā€™ve set my deadline to an hour later than I wanted it to be, so that I can treat deadline āˆ’1 hour as a soft deadline before Zeno goes crazy with the emails as the actual hard deadline approaches.

2 Likes

Thanks.

And is this even a good idea?

Maybe itā€™s just my OCD speaking, but I recently shifted my goal deadline back an hour on a stack of goals and noticed that the zeno notifications were coming in at odd times.

Perhaps Iā€™d just gotten used to the old schedule and maybe itā€™s better if I donā€™t know when to be expecting them. (or as @dreev would say ā€˜just clear your damn eepsā€™)

1 Like

One thing I dislike about my reminders set-up is that they tend to arrive in clumps of several warnings at a time.

Regardless of what regular or irregular times you choose, thatā€™s a potential side effect of using default settings.

Waterfalling your goals will stagger the times, which you can make fall on the hour or otherwise, of course.

Is it a good idea? I think thereā€™s value in unexpected reminders. Regularity and predictability make for ignorability, given our brainsā€™ operation.

1 Like

feature request ā€œzeno jitterā€ which modifies the time of the polls by Ā±J% ?

7 Likes