Spurious Zeno emails for Do Less

I just got a Zeno email for a Do Less goal of mine that is in the red:

The email says the goal will derail at midnight but I don’t believe this is true. I’ll end up in the orange and not derail by the alternating-red-is-okay loophole. It seems really bogus to me that 1) the email says I’ll derail when I won’t and 2) I’m getting Zeno’ed about a goal that isn’t going to derail tonight.

2 Likes

If the loophole didn’t exist, would this email be true?

1 Like

Yes, but I don’t think that’s a good excuse. Training users to question whether beeminder is telling the truth about derailing warnings seems counterproductive.

1 Like

Meant it as a question, not an excuse. The loophole should die, and the email become true.

Equally, to be analogous to do more goals, it’s the day you’re in the orange that is usually an eep day, the one when you have to pay attention to what you’re (not) doing.

Not sure how to represent that in the warnings cycle.

2 Likes

I’m actually not sure it is possible to conclude this. For example, on my triangular drinks goal, the data points entered each day are always 2,1,3,4,5,6,… If the hard cap is, say, 5, and my next data point is 7 then I cannot enter another data point without going into red. But if the cap is 5 and my next data point is 2 then I’m A-OK. I don’t think there’s any way to conclude this automatically though.

1 Like

I think that still counts as an eep day; a day in which you need to be conscious about (not) doing something related to the goal.

Doesn’t mean that you must abstain, in the same way that it doesn’t mean that you need to finish writing the novel (or whatever). Just that it’s a day which you’re in danger of ending on the wrong side of the tracks.

2 Likes

Er, so what I meant is that “cap is 5” can make the goal any color. The goal could be in the green and I am in mortal danger because my next data point will put me in the red. Or the goal could be in the orange and I am A-OK to put in a new data point. I see this all the time on drinks_triangle.

For example, right now the goal is orange but my next data point will keep it in the orange. My second data point today (also from orange) will put me in red.

2 Likes

ah, thanks. That particular style of aggregation / points-counting does make a mockery of the lane colours. As does any non-monotonic data source, often.

2 Likes

Yeah either that or any of the more complex aggday functions.

3 Likes