2016 Planning (aka Resolutions)

April already! So my Q1 report is kind of dismal:

#Sleep
I fussed with Tasker a while and it was too frustrating and opaque to use, and I’m not sure what’s a good metric for “actually turned off phone now”, so I’ve just installed RescueTime on my phone. (I need the phone nearby for alarums). I’m trying to create a RescueTime goal to limit the amount of time I spend playing games on my phone. Anyone have experience with this? Is there a category that would do a good job of encompassing “games on my phone”?

I’ve also noticed a weird reluctance to actually go to bed of late, like even when I’m tired. This is out of hand with my usual distraction, forgetting to go to bed because, but is more of an actual reluctance to go get in bed, like some kind of crazy FOMO or something. I’m not sure what that’s about. Introspection is hard! I might try making my actual physical bed more appealing. More fluffy comfy pillows? A heavy blanket? I used to pile > 4 quilts onto my bed to make the covers heavy when I was a kid…

#Socializing
I finally actually created a goal for contacting people. https://www.beeminder.com/b/contact – I’ve got an ifttt goal set up and it includes the duration in the comment at the moment. It might be nice if we had a conditional macro… “add datapoint IF duration > 2 minutes” would be perfect. I’ve also added a safety cap of 6 days to this.

For people I haven’t talked to in a long time, it can seem overwhelming / intimidating to try to catch up on all the things, so I’m gonna try out intentionally making the conversation time constrained. Only spend 5 minutes and call them back again soon, instead of spending 2 hours and then not calling them again for two years.

#Flexibility
Faire is making awesome progress on gymnastic stuff, but it hasn’t turned out to be something we do together much, and I couldn’t get much excitement from the kids about starting a goal with me. Partially we don’t have a great space for doing gymnastics together, and I noticed I’m kind of self-conscious about doing gymnastics in the livingroom because people could see! I could just start a goal on my own, but I don’t want to add three goals at a time right now. So maybe when I check back next quarter…

4 Likes