Across-the-Board Take a Break Option

I think this is a thing the team is reluctant to implement partly because there is an inherent value in considering your goals one by one. For example, even on vacation it will be super useful for me to keep up my (brand new and much needed) “review spending” goal. That’s still possible while on vacation (for me, anyway; I never go anywhere without internet if I can help it), and might even be extra necessary, but a universal break wouldn’t allow for that moment of reflection.

There’s also a problem with making it falsely seem too simple. You can set a break on all your goals and walk away… but if you have a gmail zero goal, that’s going to be a problem, because that can’t be paused by ordinary means. Do-less goals need different considerations too. And if you have autoratchet turned on, it doesn’t matter what break you set – it’ll be gone the next day. There’s a lot of complications to consider, and it’s not necessarily the case that people would want Beeminder to just make assumptions. The alternative to making assumptions would be a big complicated UI that included all the different options… which is just bad design in general; overwhelming, difficult to take in, difficult to understand…

7 Likes