Announcing Beeminder for Anki

This is fantastic! I’m a convert. Thanks @kenoubi.

2 Likes

Please check your connection and settings! (404, ‘Not Found’, ‘{“error”:“resource not found”}’)

Absolutely amazing app! I keep getting an error code. I pasted it here: https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/add-ons/16028-error-code as well as below. I’m on a HIgh Sierra Mac 10.13.2. My VPN is off.

An error occurred in an add-on.
Please post on the add-on forum:
https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/add-ons

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/abigailolvera/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons/beetime/settings.py”, line 137, in onAccept
self.onApply()
File “/Users/abigailolvera/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons/beetime/settings.py”, line 170, in onApply
self.bc.store()
File “/Users/abigailolvera/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons/beetime/config.py”, line 18, in store
self.save()
File “/Users/abigailolvera/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons/beetime/config.py”, line 21, in save
self.col.setMod()
File “anki/collection.pyc”, line 110, in setMod
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘mod’

Sorry I just installed the add on, the first time it was successfully updated my review cards and added cards, but in the second time, it shows the following error codes:

File “C:\Users\Andy Wong\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons\beetime_init_.py”, line 25, in
mw.connect(manualSync, SIGNAL(“triggered()”), lambda: syncDispatch(at=‘manual’))
File “C:\Users\Andy Wong\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons\beetime\sync.py”, line 58, in syncDispatch
prepareApiCall(col, reportTimestamp, numberOfCards, comment, goal_type=‘reviewed’)
File “C:\Users\Andy Wong\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons\beetime\sync.py”, line 85, in prepareApiCall
newDatapointId = sendApi(user, token, slug, data, cachedDatapointId)
File “C:\Users\Andy Wong\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons\beetime\api.py”, line 14, in sendApi
response = apiCall(“POST”, user, token, slug, data, did)
File “C:\Users\Andy Wong\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons\beetime\api.py”, line 43, in apiCall
raise Exception(“transmission failed:”, response.status, response.reason, response.read())
Exception: (‘transmission failed:’, 404, ‘Not Found’, ‘{“error”:“resource not found”}’)

I’m very happy that this application exists! As for now, I can’t use it because I would need to report the added notes/cards to only a certain deck. Any idea on when this can be implemented?

1 Like

Wow, have I been away for long.

I just became a lifetime subscriber after bee-ing a loafer for 18+ months (being an early adopter earlier. I was dusting off my Anki scripts for logging card review counts, and low and behold.

Scripts :slight_smile: What else did I miss people?

2 Likes

Is it still working? I am trying to install it to a (relatively) new computer, but can’t find a way to configure anything. All I get from Beeminder_sync.py file is this:

Description: Allows one to send review time, cards and/or cards/notes
added to Beeminder.
Copyright: Ian McB yanmcbe@gmail.com
License: GNU AGPL, version 3 or later; http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl.html
Version: v1.7rc6

import beetime

and this:

File “/Users/XXX/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons/beetime/init.py”, line 16, in openBeeminderSettings
dialog.display(mw)
File “/Users/XXX/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons/beetime/settings.py”, line 96, in display
self.ui.time_premium.setChecked(self.mw.col.conf[BEE][‘time’][‘premium’])
KeyError: ‘premium’

1 Like

The add-on works for me (i.e. it tracks what I want it to track), but I get this error message twice every time I start (2x) and every time I close (2x) the Anki Desktop app (on Win10).

ankibee

It does not update when I only use the mobile App (Android), but that just means I have to build a large enough buffer. This is not a goal for which I want to ride the edge anyway. :wink:

If it helps, these are my Beeminder Sync settings in Anki (all boxes not shown are unticked):

ankibee2

1 Like

Checking back in to report that I now don’t get these messages any more while the add-on keeps working (yay!). I even added automatic reporting to another Anki goal (after I stopped getting errors), and it still works. :slight_smile:

So, no idea if that mini bug was fixed or if there was never a bug and it was all just a local problem. :smiley: Anyway, I’m even more happy with the Anki integration now!

Edit: The error message is back. :smiley:

1 Like

First of all thank you for your work!
Are there any plans to make the add-on available for Anki 2.1?
How large is the effort? I’m willing to help if possible.

I played with Anki addons a while back, before writing my own (worse) SRS and I’ve played with the Beeminder API. If no one steps up in a few days feel free to ping me and I’ll try to have a look, no guarantees though!

Update: The error messages appear only when enabling automatic syncing in the Anki/BM preferences. Not when syncing to Beeminder manually by clicking the cute little bee in Anki.

I prefer this to clicking the error messages away, but it comes at the risk of forgetting to sync to Beeminder.

ping! I tried it myself but ran into error messages and couldn’t figure out how to debug them in anki (console did not open)

@iwilldoityesyes I don’t have much time, but I’m going to do 10 minutes here and there if it doesn’t end up being much work. I’ve already done a bit of work this morning and it’s mostly just updating a lot of python2/pyqt4 code to python3/pyqt5 code. For the py2 to py3, 2to3 seems to have done the trick but we’ll see. I’ll keep you updated.

4 Likes

@iwilldoityesyes Sorry I didn’t update this, but it looks like someone else stepped up :slight_smile:

Whether this is a good replacement depends on how set you are on tracking the same metrics

Hey, I’ve felt bad for quite some time for leaving this addon unmaintained. I was burned out on Beeminder for a while and didn’t really have a good computer to work on anymore.

I’d like to pick this up again (no promises). I’ll be taking some time to read through this thread. Hopefully I’ll be able to report back here soon!

7 Likes

Please don’t feel bad. You did something cool and shared it with everyone for free! Just because you didn’t maintain it to the same level as someone would for their job for the rest of forever isn’t something to be ashamed about!

(I have realized that not wanting to maintain every project forever means that most of my projects stay private, and I’m working hard at not doing that. :slight_smile: )

6 Likes

Don’t feel bad. Really super helpful add-on, and if you choose to work on it a bit more, we are all grateful - but we are that even if you don’t!

By the way, do you have any plans to make the add-on compatible with Anki 2.1.x? (It is currently not, I think.) I’ll have a look at the github repo (hope the link is correct?), but not sure if I can help myself.

5 Likes

I’ve fixed parts of this (well… actually a fork of it) up for personal use. The fork needed some fixing but I got it working with Anki 2.1.44.

I won’t commit to long term maintenance (I’m awfully put off by this). I also don’t want to be rude towards the original author (and the author of the fork) who’s done most of the work!

So I need help!

1. What’s the best way to go about letting others know they can give it a ride, without guarantees and expectations.
  2. @ianminds, may I ask you to clarify the license of your code?
4 Likes