argh, screaming in frustration that I keep missing deadlines

I decided to try out No Excuses mode, aka weaselproofing, along with a new regimen of Beeminder goals, and I’m getting SOOO frustrated that I keep missing deadlines!

Today I missed my 4pm and 11pm deadlines. And last night I missed the 2am deadline - even though I did the task! I just forgot to enter data!

I keep screaming in frustration! As soon as I get the derail email it’s like “NO NOT FAIR NOT FAIR THAT IS NOT RIGHT”

I don’t know - just something about missing a deadline and getting charged triggers this horrible feeling. pre-weaselproofing it triggered this “OK I HAVE TO GET OUT OF THIS SOMEHOW THIS WAS OBVIOUSLY NON-LEGIT BECAUSE I DERAILED” feeling. Now I no longer have that option.

How do I deal with this? How do I make the deadlines? I look at the clock probably a dozen times in the hour before the deadline and say “I’ll start in a minute.”

2 Likes

I’ve never been able to get Beeminder custom deadlines to work for me. This isn’t a technical thing, it’s a me thing. (I suspect I could get a non-midnight time to work for me if I made all of my deadlines be the same time.)

8 Likes

Definitely feels bad when you derail because you forgot a deadline and not because you decided to derail. I have multiple alarms that must be manually dismissed that are automatically scheduled ahead of beemergency deadlines.

2 Likes

I have all goals set with a deadline of 4 AM except for one. If there is something I want to have done by 4 PM, I can put that in the fine print. If not done by that time, I let it derail. I have tried custom deadlines, and it always ends up with me forgetting to enter data and derailing, except for my shower goal at 10 PM. For some reason, I remember the deadline for that specific goal.

2 Likes

OitNR completely solved my checkin problems and has been a surprisingly straightforward mental shift!

1 Like

I probably need to do this!

What do you do for the alarms?

1 Like

Wow, I’m impressed - I would find that psychologically almost impossible!

“What do you mean I have to derail it? It hasn’t expired! I can just do it and enter data!” – current me to past me

Seems like that would be even harder than remembering the deadline! What makes it easier to do that for you? How do you stick to and remember the fine-print deadline, if it’s hard to remember an actual one?

1 Like

Previously I did it using Android Automate. Now I use a combination of my own code running on Render.com which sends messages to Telegram which Macrodroid reacts to. But, yeah. Simplest would be to create a flow using Android Automate.

1 Like

I have enough trouble remembering midnight deadlines! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What does that do that just setting an alarm doesn’t?

1 Like

that’s why my standard deadline is 6 a.m., so it’s always before i go to sleep, no matter what time is :see_no_evil:
(with the exception of two auto data goals, one has a midnight deadline, one a 4 a.m. deadline, but somehow i can still remember all that.)

1 Like

My hack: putting my timezone a bit later than my real one, and putting my deadlines to as far as possible (6am IIRC)

(Custom deadlines never worked well for me)

1 Like

if all your deadlines are at the same time, how do you get yourself to do stuff throughout the day, rather than just pushing it to the end?

@linux535 @adamwolf

1 Like

It isn’t really something I had to work at, so I doubt anything I have to say will be helpful, but I can try. In the morning, when I see it’s emergency day for something, it is irritating and motivating already, without it having to be “close to the deadline”–it’s already close, to me!

2 Likes

oh wow - see, all mine are daily tasks, and they are always in the red!

1 Like