Automation Question (Want to block using certain websites)

Are there any ways out there to set up beeminder so that when I visit certain websites on my browser, a new data point is automatically entered into a beeminder goal? I’ve been trying to avoid certain websites, and I’d like to have a process be automated so that if I spend any time at all on them, I’ll be charged via Beeminder.

I’ve been trying to figure out something using If This Then That and Rescue Time, but so far no such luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? I’d greatly appreciate it!

2 Likes

There are many ways to do this. I use Rescuetime. I believe it is trickier if you want to do this from an iPhone, but if you are desktop/Android this should work fine.

Personally, I track both “time on the site” and “did I go to that site at all on this day”, so that I get in the habit of not being on Twitter every single day ( gasp :wink: )

I created a specific category for each site, and then I use the Beeminder Rescuetime integration to track time in that category. This goal track the time on a site. Then I use IFTTT to copy datapoints from the first goal to a new goal. I then set the second goal to custom (which requires a premium plan) and change the aggday setting to “nonzero” which means that the datapoints for each day are collected and either add 1 or 0 to the graph, 0 only if there are no datapoints or all the datapoints values are 0, 1 otherwise.

This may not be exactly what you want. Lemme know if you have any questions or want to talk about tweaking it at all.

2 Likes