@adamwolf had said we could do another poll after Deep Work - Deep Work is at the top of the present poll with 40%
I relinquish all rights to a Beeminder Book Club, feel free to do polls whenever
Chiming in as someone who joined the Atomic Habits book club but whose participation died off well before the end of the book.
The book club worked for me in the following ways:
- I would not have known the book existed without this thread.
- In a busy phase in January, the book club’s schedule (via my beeminder goal) helped me get back to the book.
- The book club made me read the book.
My thoughts on the discussion:
- The information in the book was a bit sparse (but valuable). At the same time, it felt like there were about five people here reading it. There was just not sooo much to talk about. So I think that one thread per book might help condensing that discussion a bit.
- Different reading speeds are something to deal with, especially in the one-thread solution. I think, personally I would prefer to finish a book myself, then discuss it. So maybe set a recommended schedule (nothing easier than that with beeminder) and start discussion after that date?
Next book: My vote goes to Deep Work as well. I have read it about two years ago and made a huge mindmap as I found it incredibly helpful (and much denser than Atomic Habits). Now/soon would be a good time to revisit it.
I agree with your suggestions, and I’m also interested in a Deep Work re-read!
I still haven’t finished Atomic Habits (got sidetracked by two other books) but will quickly reread Deep Work to keep up with the discussion.
My suggestion is that we make a Deep Work thread now, and everyone who has read it can feel free to comment and start off the discussion. The rest of us can start with Chapter 1 and comment on the chapter(s) that we’ve read as we go.