I’ve got a way that has been helpful for beeminding my journaling and I’d like to share it with you. This requires a Day One client on a machine and running a chron job to update a txt file.
The flow is like this:
- Day One writes to a it’s SQL database after a journal entry is saved.
- A script is kicked off by chron that reads records from the database and pipes the “ZCREATIONOSNAME” values from each journal entry into a txt file. (ZCREATIONOSNAME is just what OS was used to write the journal entry to the database - so it usually just says MacOS - unless I journal on my phone). So after this, what is essentially happens if you have a text file that is a list that looks like this:
And the number of times a OS entry occurs = the number of journal entries that you have.
3. This file is saved on Dropbox.
4. URL enters the words into beeminder - which happens to be the same number as your journal entries.
Here is the script that is used:
/usr/bin/sqlite3 /Users/USERNAME/Library/Group\ Containers/5U8NS4GX82.dayoneapp2/Data/Documents/DayOne.sqlite -cmd “SELECT ZCREATIONOSNAME FROM ZENTRY;” > dayoneentrycount.txt
I used Lingon X to set up the script to point at a dropbox directory.
Hope this helps someone!