Beeminding planning

I was just talking about how to commit to a goal to do some planned larger-scale adventuring this year. I want to plan three adventures (two bike tours and a camping trip), but how can I Beemind sticking to that and making sure it happens. I could commit to the events themselves, but that runs a lot of the same problems talked about here. I’d like to make sure that the adventures happen, with sufficient time and planning to make them fun, and I don’t know ahead of time what that’s going to take.

So I think maybe this idea came from @malcolm, but I’ve started a beeminder for this:
http://beeminder.com/b/adventure
I’m allowed to enter any fractional amount under 1 that it seems like the work I’ve done counts for, but I can’t enter the final amount (and actually get to “1”) until travel and accommodations are planned and paid for, and there’s one thing planned for each day of the trip.

I’m also going to use a tag for this in tagtime, and hopefully also do structured pomodoros of work on it so that I may also wind up with some data about how much time it takes, so perhaps in the future I can refine my beeminding of this particular thing with a more informed metric.

B

5 Likes

Yup! That’s what I do with my blog goal, and it works wonders.
https://www.beeminder.com/m/blog

It lets me keep the pressure on each day without actually getting
overwhelmed by stuff every day.

Blogging is one of my big wins with beeminder. I love blogging, but
without beeminder I have found it almost impossible to make time for with
everything else I’m doing. Beeminder ensures that without fail, I publish a
post every 10 days :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve since written a blog post a bit about my use of beeminder to help me blog:

I have once again found myself blogging right now because if I don’t, I owe beeminder money. I feel frustrated—I have only an hour or so left at this point and while I have many posts in progress and many others that I want to write, none of them will be ready in an hour. So instead here’s a brief rant on accountability.

Structures of accountability - Malcolm Ocean

5 Likes

(Fractional beeminding is also recapped in this delightful old blog post on bucketminding)

PS: And now it’s a major motion blog post as well!

1 Like

Hi @bee , @malcolm , @dreev , I’m applying this Fractional Beeminding technique by creating a new goal thcc – experientiallearner – beeminder on July 31, 2023.

I changed the Goal Date to December 31, 2023 and the Goal Total to 1.

I entered a datapoint of 0.1 on July 31st, and it’s saying that I have to enter 0.9 by Monday August 7th.

Shouldn’t the 0.9 be spread out until December 31, 2023, which is my Goal Date, not Monday August 7th?

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding the Fractional Beeminding technique.

1 Like

@experientiallearner it looks like your goal graph starts at zero (correct) and ends at 1 (also correct), but does it via a single jump in one day, on Monday 7th August - not correct!? What you want is no intermediate rate changes, and just a final value of 1 on 2023-12-31. Beeminder will then calculate the correct gentle slope for you!

If you write to the nice people in support then they can help you fix that up… indeed, if you write in a few hours from right now, then that fix-it-up chappie in Support will be me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello @clivemeister , thank you for your reply.

Yes, my goal graph does it via a single jump in one day, on Monday 7th, which shouldn’t be.

Can you please fix it?

I’m new to this Fractional Beeminding.

I emailed support. I appreciate your help.

1 Like