Beeminder Forum

Commitment to Be at Certain Places & Times

Is there a way that Beeminder could be used to penalize me if I am not at a certain place during certain times? I would need it enforced through GPS and time tracking.

Thanks for any help.

2 Likes

I’ve never done it, but I think you can use IFTTT to beemind being at certain locations, and you could play with Beeminder’s deadlines to make sure you get there by a certain time.

1 Like

Many years ago I did this with getting to work by a certain time. I used Tasker on my Android phone: it has a Beeminder integration and I set it up so it would send a point to a Beeminder goal if my phone detected that I was in a certain place within a certain time window. It worked OK although it occasionally didn’t register the location properly, and it was a bit finicky to get set up. I think these days there are nicer apps/ways of detecting that you are at a certain location.

3 Likes

@acer Do you happen to have an Android phone? If so, this is a little complicated to set up but it can be done with Tasker and IFTTT together. I’ll make you a video walkthrough of how to set it up if that would be helpful!

2 Likes

Yes, I am using an Android phone. A video would definitely be helpful.

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I want to do something like this but it seems beyond my technical skills. What do you think of me finding someone to do it for me? What would that involve?

“I think these days there are nicer apps/ways of detecting that you are at a certain location.”
Could you please tell me what these apps/ways are?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

0 Likes

Sorry for the delay, I’ve had a lot going on. Just wanted to let you know that I haven’t forgotten! :slight_smile:

0 Likes

No worries! Thanks for helping me!

0 Likes