e-Ink Beeminder Dashboard

Meanwhile I also created a goal for this. It’s set at 1hr/week right now because it’s finals time. Once those are done I will give it more bite.

As mentioned above I also ordered a Pi Zero W and a tiny version of the display (this time in red to mix things up a bit) so I can also explore that option. Eventually I’m gonna use the small display and pi for some little dashboard for my parents and their little business I think.

Those have arrived this week!

3 Likes

:open_mouth: wow i just saw this, i will absolutely take you up on that and share! here’s the goal, started with a low slope, I’m working on the site where i’ll put my documentation and i’ll post that when i have it up!

4 Likes

Woo-hoo! Now just need your snail mail address and a link to the hardware you need!

3 Likes

That’s so cute!! Love the little red display

maybe you could have the red one display the emergency day goals only?

1 Like

e-Ink

A friend of mine came across a very related project that popped up two days ago:

WiFi

I had an idea about how to get your WiFi credentials into the dashboard that would not require you to actually install device drivers and an IDE and to program the chip. Turns out somebody else had the same idea and made it into a library:

This project is almost doing itself :slight_smile:

1 Like

Success! Queried the Beeminder API via https and got my json back :slight_smile:

4 Likes

nice!! i just spent literally the last week figuring out how to get my pi hooked up to the university wifi, then how to SSH into the pi on the wifi… and i started out trying to do this headless, which wasted SO much time. parts are here though, so hopefully this week i’ll be able to start getting some real stuff done!

3 Likes

And that’s precisely why I am avoiding the Pi so far. I found that WiFi on Linux is one of those things were many will say “for me it works great!” but somehow I was never one of them. And then you realise it’s only NetworkManager that works for them which requires X and I don’t want an X on something like this.
Big selling point of the Pi is that it runs Scala however.

In contrast I was mostly dealing with the memory limitations of the esp8266 I am using. Once I figured that those were the source of the crashes they were quickly resolved, though. WiFi setup worked out of the box. As did JSON.

Getting data from the Beeminder API is failing a lot of times though with the connection getting refused or running into timeouts.

I also thought of running a web server with a small REST API on it to which you can connect and refresh / configure the dashboard.

yeah, yikes. wpa_gui solved all of my problems (god bless my friend who helped me). the issue really laid with the WPA2 Enterprise set up and not the Pi, i’m writing a blog post about this atm and i’ll post it when i’m done

You mentioning WPA2 Enterprise gave me an idea! Do you have access to eduroam at your Uni campus? I do and if you do as well then it would make sense for me to test my setup with the network of my Uni. So far I only tried it with my home WiFi which works like a charm.

1 Like

yes I have eduroam at my university! the setup process is the same as for my university’s wifi. I appreciate you checking! :smiley:

1 Like

Tiny update is tiny: I fabricobbled an excellent example of derp. I soldered the pins to the raspberry pi and was actually a bit proud because it was my neatest soldering job ever…

…until I realised I put them on wrong!

On all my micro controllers I put the pins facing down so they can be plugged into a breadboard. So out of habbit I did the same with the pi. Only that the e-ink hat needs them facing up! :man_facepalming: And it makes 0 sense to plug something with two rows of pins into a breadboard.

There is no way for me to unsolder them again so I came up with an inpromptu solution:

It looks horrendous but the pixies won’t care. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

nice soldering! too bad about the orientation. I finally got my display a few days ago courtesy of beeminder, but I’ve been a bit lost as to how to get started with it, do you know where the manuals/documentation are?

3 Likes

I believe the Raspberry Pi section on the Waveshare Wiki and the product page for the coloured 7.5" e-paper hat might be of help! It seems that the red version ( B ) is programmed just like the yellow version ( C ).

Apropos courtesy of Beeminder: I got a present in the mail today!

Isn’t this the cutest little soldering iron? As far as irons go, that is.
With 65W (!) it also got more than 1.5x the oomph of my big ol’ soldering station which means it can maintain the temperature far easier and it’s so tiny I can keep it around in my flat and not have to disassemble it to stow it away all the time. This directly translates into more convenience and more fun! And DIY projects that aren’t fun are projects that aren’t happening.

Compared to my old station other than increased fun factor and convenience it also got:

• USB, because it’s 2019 and you gotta be able to mod your soldering iron, right?
  • A grounding clamp to not accidentally fry the delicate electronicals you’re working on
  • Motion sensor to partially cool down the iron when not in use so it’s still warm but not hot enough to damage the tip
  • With the alternative firmware: Lot’s more stuff including a battery charge indicator and boost mode
  • an OLED screen + animated menu so you actually see what you’re doing

I’m super excited about this little guy! Thanks so much Beehive!

5 Likes

Love it!! i had no idea that USB soldering irons exist but that’s a gorgeous pierce of equipment!!

That would actually be possible thanks to USB-C and the Power Delivery Standard (100W yay) alas this iron uses micro USB which can’t do that. For power it relies on a standard barrel plug.

Except it’s not really standard for some reason it is very picky as to what 2.5mm barrel plug it physically accepts.

1 Like

@cam fyi, here is the successor of the TS100 which uses USB-C for everything. It’s also a lot more expensive. Frankly I don’t know what else it does that the TS100 does not do already so at roughly twice the cost that money is better spent elsewhere. Like… spending time finding a suitable power supply with a plug that actually fits into the TS100. Because for some reason they thought it’d be a great idea to make the pin inside the barrel plug thicker than usual. Just ever so slightly.
Maybe do spend the additional money on the successor because then at least you don’t have to worry about that :wink:
https://www.banggood.com/MINI-TS80-Digital-OLED-USB-Type-C-Programable-Soldering-Iron-Station-Solder-Tool-Built-in-STM32-Chip-p-1330060.html?rmmds=search&ID=554957&cur_warehouse=CN

1 Like

woah! luckily i have access to a maker space with soldering irons so this is not a live issue for me, but i’m so impressed with the world that this exists!