Experience with a treadmill desk or a deskcycle?

Related :smile:

1 Like

This isn’t practical or anything, but pretty funny and I guess on topic? :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, I think I’m going to a simpler version of this using my wahoo kickr! Shut down internet via script when 1 hour average power goes below 40W as measured by the kickr :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes :smiley: Very on-topic and also already mentioned :wink:

How do script that? Does the kickr! expose an API?

2 Likes

Now I’m seriously thinking about precise calorie burned goals on beeminder using the power meters in good smart trainers. That’s so freaking cool. I need to hack this - as soon as I can go outside of isolation and get my bike which is not at my house right now. :stuck_out_tongue:

The kickr uses, as far as I can tell, some kind of standard using ant+. I think this is the case across smart trainers. See for example zwift, whch takes the data from any smart trainer supporting ant+ or bluetooth and uses it to put you on a virtual island racing with other people.

I should be able to get the data reatively easily: openant/cadence_speed_heart.py at master · Tigge/openant · GitHub

There are also other open source programs to track your stats as you train which I think have APIs you can use.

3 Likes

What have I started :see_no_evil: :smiley: Go for it!

2 Likes

I am getting tired of replacing the duckt tape on my make shift standing desk that is a cardboard box:

I like working standing upright, though. So I thought: Let’s make this more official! And this is where I would show you a photo of a lasercut box in exactly the size I need for working comfortably. Except that I ran out of wood and thanks to the current plague it is either cumbersome¹ or expensive (because shipping costs for plywood are just nope) to resupply at the moment.

¹ Home improvement stores are still open, just not for the public. You need to run a business to be allowed in. And I could get a piece of paper that would get me in or ask a friend but for now I’ll stick with my cardboard box.

2 Likes

In terms of standing desk options, the IKEA SKARSTA has worked out fine for me.
It’s a manual one so it’s a bit of labour to switch positions but it’s not much. At most i might switch twice per day (e.g. start at the regular level, switch to standing for a couple of hours, switch back to regular for the rest of the day).

2 Likes

Seems like there may be some low-hanging fruit that could be plucked here - can you make improvements in your sleep schedule so that you get more sleep? If you’re not getting enough sleep there’s only so much a treadmill can do…

1 Like

I am definitely getting more than enough sleep, that is not the problem

I’m a little concerned - if you’re getting enough sleep and you are still falling asleep during the course of the day, that could be a serious neurological or other medical problem - sorry if this is too intrusive, but I’d at least consider having that checked out.

Rest ain’t just for APIs!

It’s just during monotone activities, which is annoying enough. I talked to two doctors about it and they are not at all concerned. I’m also filling out a sleep quality questionnaire over four weeks and then talk more to one of them about it, but I don’t expect any major insights.

2 Likes

Glad you’re looking into it - we don’t want to lose your brain :brain:

it’s way too late for that anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

From the graves of old threads, I summon thee!

News time! It’s over a year later than when I started this thread.

I have since:

More on that in a follow up post :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I read your post from the beginning and noticed this

I want to build up more muscles to support my spine

The best way to achieve that is through various core building exercises. I needed the same, which is why I am beeminding daily crunches.

1 Like

That’s definitely a good thing! In fact, I used to beemind doing the 7 minute workout routine every other day. I did this for a few months and it showed substantial improvements in my overall mobility. Can recommend! :+1:
I eventually stopped because of an inflamed wrist and that took months to heal. Unfortunately it came back recently so pushups and the likes are going to have to wait a bit, I’m afraid.
Also the yoga matt I used to do the bodyweight exercises on is… not bad but it slips on my floor a lot. That was a big problem with lunges in particular and wall sits.

I’m currently doing standing kitchen counter push-ups, at an average rate of 10 per day, to help build up my soft tissues.

Natural latex rubber is great for slippery floors. You can buy resistance bands cheap and use them to create a sticky layer between the floor and yoga mat.

One can also use a spray bottle to lay down a thin mist of water, can help as well, since that can create water surface tension. Experiment because water can make things more slippery or more sticky depending on amount and other conditions.

1 Like