Feature request: store safety buffer

Disagree.

I’ve been calling this Beeminder’s no-free-lunch theorem, or the power of bright lines, and I’m working on a blog post about it.

I’m fine with you claiming a Beeminder no-free-lunch theorem, but could you fairly lay out the exact evidence, at least ? and maybe also actually word the theorem. At this stage honestly it looks more like the idea of a conjecture to me :stuck_out_tongue:

Sidetrack : what happened to the blog post ? can you update your post ? (which really looked like a “commit.to” trigger)

The reason I don’t like the specific solution of storing safety buffer is that it’s sort of trying to trick yourself (“I’m in the orange but I’m not really in the orange”) which I believe backfires.

To me, storing safety buffer is exactly trying to trick yourself, but you got the specifics all wrong ! It really goes I’m not really in the orange, but please make me think I’m in the orange. (To me) the whole point is the colors. I know I’ll react to red 95% of the time, so please, even though it’s blue, make it look like red (without the 5% chance that I’ll miss that I’d get by retroratcheting). Of course, this is only meant to be used sometimes, when I’m most likely to react to red, but wouldn’t feel like making progress on a green thing.

Other communities call this “artificial deadlines” and have varied opinions about them which may inspire this thread (unnecessary pressure, useful technique, good for the creative types).

I think better is to just cultivate your sense of alarm at seeing an orange or blue graph. Or a graph with less than a 7-day buffer (where it shows the day of the week instead of number of days on the graph image).

Maybe all I’m asking for is a color for a 7-day buffer.

2 Likes