February's Annoyingness Straw Poll

I would want to consider each goal individually. Don’t give me one box to change a bunch of goals. Give me a page like the reminder settings page, where I just see the one setting I care about for each of my goals (e.g. commitment, safety buffer, or break scheduling). Then I can change them individually without clicking through 16 pages plus 16 tabs. If I can choose which goals show up before getting to that page, that would be even better.

I imagine this would go something like the “create new goal” page flow. When you click “Create New Goal,” you first pick a way to track your progress. Then you are sent to a page where you pick more information about what type of goal you want to make. For the settings, I would want to go to a page where I would pick a setting that I want to change. Then I would get sent to a different page that lists the goals for which that setting can be changed. I would pick the goals that I want to change. Then I would get sent to a page that lists the current setting for each goal and lets me change it.

11 Likes

@lantha I also didn’t mark the apps as a priority, but the mobile notifications aren’t great. I actually just turned all of them off and switched to sms because that way I can configure them in the grid and don’t have to worry about whether my app is up to date with the server.

@dreev I hit ‘difficulty of changing multiple goals at once’ and my use case is mostly a subset of goal tagging - I’d like to be able to update my reminder strategy for an entire category of goals without having to update 20 fields. I was going to say that my use case would be greatly helped if the grid view of reminders was sorted by deadline, but I just realized you can do that already.

2 Likes

yessssssss this. I second @ibwi_unju’s workflow; it’s what makes changing goal due times not terrible. Just don’t make me click through to each goal individually, and I will love you forever!

1 Like

this probably falls under the ‘improved documentation’ bullet! there’s a whole lot about using beeminder to document, which is why it’s so daunting a task (and also why we just gotta buck up and do it).

anyway, here’s how i explain the road editor in its current glory to myself, in case it helps turn any keys for you (or anyone else reading):

1. a date-rate segment ( X _ Z ) makes the road have Z slope through X date
  2. a date-value segment ( X Y _ ) jumps the road to Y value on X date
  3. a value-rate segment ( _ Y Z ) makes the road have Z slope until its centerline reaches Y value

a derailment, for example, is usually 1 followed by 2 - it creates a row that preserves the shape of the road you were following until you derailed, then a second row that moves the road position to your current value. and there might be a second 1 if you don’t have no-mercy on, so you get that week off.

so if you’re trying to figure out what the heck to enter, see if you can describe your wishes in terms of the 3 “types” of segment, then translate into XYZ.

and/or email support and we’ll try our hand at it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Tab refreshing! it bugs me because: i) it’s erratic - sometimes the tabs work fine and sometimes they don’t ii) there’s no way to tell whether the content is loading or just isn’t coming iii) it’s dynamically loading so my brain feels like hitting refresh will put me back on the first tab and not solve my problem. Overall it makes the site feel janky AND makes it harder to gets things done because it puts an annoying roadblock in the way of important functionality.

3 Likes

Speaking of notifications, it would be nice to receive a notification when a datapoint is added.

Then again, IFTTT can handle this… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not in the poll: the website is still not mobile friendly despite the re-design

3 Likes

Point-and-click, with bubble “+X daily for Y days (+XY total)” for each segment would be as intuitive as it gets IMO. Make segment ends draggable and numbers in the bubble editable and it would be precise on mobile too.

Changing settings for multiple goals could be more intuitive after there’s goal hierarchy - groups or tags or whatever. It makes more sense to implement multiple goals management after goal hierarchy IMO.

do-less loophole

Hm, in early January I couldn’t find again the one I knew about, so I guess you’re speaking of different one:)

2 Likes

Just curious, what exactly is wrong with restarting goals currently? I’m not exposed to this flow much since I usually extend my goal before it ends, unless it has a natural “no longer relevant after” point, in which case I don’t restart it at all.

1 Like

Good call. Will include in next Annoyingness Straw Poll!

As for goal tagging, this is not a complete solution but we do have a kind of way to do some tagging:

Part of the problem is that I’m not even sure all of the confusing ways this can break. Possible insta-derails if data has been edited, that sort of thing. Also I think a blatant bug with choosing the new pledge amount when restarting. This is actually high priority regardless of what the poll says, since it has a particularly high cockroach factor.

3 Likes

That does sound bad. Just wondering, why are insta-derails even a thing? I’m pretty sure I’ve never had one that I didn’t email support to undo. I’m having trouble imagining the case where a goal should derail at a time other than (the next run of a batch job after) its deadline. At least until we have an uncle button.

4 Likes

Would be nice if tag-filtering could also work on the Gallery (yes, I still prefer the gallery view over the dashboard :))

1 Like

It’s just a natural side effect of how Beeminder is actually implemented. See Instant derails always surprise me

3 Likes

I would also love it if derails were limited to the update time; it would give me a chance to fix failed road edits, for instance, or play around with a restarted goal without screwing myself over. Or even change data without accidentally derailing myself!

2 Likes

Graphs taking too long to generate sometimes

Seriously @dreev, this has gotten worse and worse now. I don’t think there is any time of the day that graphs are produced in a logical amount of time. It often takes more than 2 minutes! Time for a server upgrade?

6 Likes

@bee’s been hard at work on tracking down the slow graph regenerations. We were on a bit of a wild goose chase thinking it had to do with our queuing implementation for when we’re processing lots of graphs at once. Turns out our database server was just on its knees frequently. We upgraded Mongo today and (fingers crossed) things look a lot better. Like 5 seconds to regenerate a graph, which is still a stupidly long time but we’re hopeful that we’ve at least solved the problem of frequently minute-long refresh times. Keep letting us know how things look from your perspective!

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll let you know how it goes. I don’t understand why you put all this effort though when you have the HTML5 version of the graph quite ready :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, queueing and database stuff is critical regardless. Maybe it would be moot with client-side graphing taking a ton of load off the server but the proof-of-concept we made had some fatal flaws (plus we need the server-generated version as well for various things like the phone apps, hotlinks, etc) so we’re now taking our time and doing it right. So for now we’re making sure the server-generated graphs at least take a non-painful amount of time, ie, a few seconds.

1 Like

I hope you implement “making it easy to change settings for multiple goals at once” sooner rather than later. I think it’s holding me back from reviving my goals on Beeminder (and thus lowering your potential revenue), as when I think of having to edit a lot of goals when I go on vacation, I think “Ugh”. Not a good sentiment to associate with a product.

5 Likes