GmailZero

Hello,
I’m using GmailZero to reduce the emails in my inbox to 0. After I get to 0, I want to keep my inbox at 0, but I don’t want to commit on a daily basis. I want to commit to 0 on a weekly basis, so that if I’m busy on a particular day, I can get my inbox to 0 later (for example during the weekend when I have more time). So I want to commit to getting to 0 at least once a week, but not on a particular day (for example, be able to get my inbox to 0 on Monday this week, and on Friday next week).
Does anyone know if that is possible, and if so how to do it?
Thank you

3 Likes

Yet another fine example of a trigger-based goal; i.e. give me a set amount of time to get back into line after an event, in this case, a non-zero day.

in this case you have the advantage of getting a stream of datapoints (ideally zeroes) into your gmail goal.

If you could send a one to another goal every time that your gmail goal gets a zero, then that second goal could be set to a slope of once per week, and auto-ratcheted to soak up more than seven days of safety-buffer.

This might require the use of an as-yet-non-existent IFTTT Macro, like COMPLEMENT[BINARY[{{Value}}]] or something.

1 Like

That’s a very interesting solution. But I guess it would be too much hassle to do that manually every time?
By the way, is there a way to auto-ratchet goals? For example to have no more than one week of safety buffer?

1 Like

We actually have auto-ratchet as a perk of one of our premium plans. Eager for feedback on whether that feels worth it. (We’re working on a bunch of changes to premium plans right now.)

I think it would feel a lot more worth it if it were implemented as more of a first-class feature. Currently (AFAIK) there’s no indication of when it adjusts which goals by what amount. At a minimum it should make an entry in the goal’s data somewhere, and ideally this would be an IFTTT trigger, etc. As it is today, I prefer to manually ratchet so I can know it happened and feel good about it.

2 Likes

Or equivalent in goal’s visible meta-data… in the same spirit that the derailment datapoints aren’t so much datapoints as they are annotations.

As regards auto-ratchet, that’s the sole reason that I personally subscribed to Plan Bee.

2 Likes