Gratitude journaling together

1. To be working for Beeminder and with such great, interesting, smart people!
  2. Managing remarkably well on not much sleep today!
  3. Metaphor of my Beeminder goals as instrumentation helping me avoid crashing as I fly through the n-dimensional space of “life”
3 Likes

Yes, he’s a little too old for Peter and not quite the physical type… but his piffle is great. I knew him first in the radioplay versions, which helped – his voice is perfect, and he does some great stuff which feels potentially ad-libbed (like calling Parker “Parker-bird”, which as far as I know is never said in the books, but is perfect for Peter’s way of talking).

2 Likes
  1. Talking to Alys lately about the Lord Peter books/tv series. I love sharing the things I love. (Even if I’ve more recently realised that Lord Peter really needs to back off and leave Harriet Vane alone.)
  2. Lisa making me a hot water bottle for comforting.
  3. Lisa reading Masters in this Hall (K.J. Charles), which I read last month, and giggling away and sharing favourite bits.
3 Likes
  1. Fun posts stuff from @enbee, and new gratitude practitioners joining in (WELCOME!)
  2. Pushing two features to prod today without everything crashing
  3. Handy Telegram bots that I wrote as a UVI is 10x more useful than I would’ve thought.
  4. A customer stopped bugging me because I implement a bit of features everyday for him according to a UVI goal. He sends me :fire: and :100: emojis instead of :disappointed: and :pray: emojis now.
  5. So in general, thanks Beeminder for making me do stuff!
  6. And also thanks Complice to make me pick smart stuff to do
  7. Malcolm (Complice) might make the beeminder implementation better
  8. Bits of random dubstep euphoria
  9. I allowed myself to procrastinate as long as I start working at 15:00 with a Complice staked goal and it worked.
  10. Befriending someone

PS:

1. I started reading academic literature in my field thanks to Readwise + Toggl + Beeminder… and I could partake in a discussion relating to a paper that I coincidentally just read :page_with_curl::brain:
  2. My room is so clean now, thanks again Beeminder!

(I wonder when my Beeminder obsession will end…it has been about ~2 months now)

5 Likes
  1. The sink is clear, except for the one bottle I put in it just now
  2. We were able to reuse the plastic bottle and soap dispenser that were here when we moved in for over 2.5 years
  3. The first morning playlist I made this year is at least an A-, if not A
  4. The Google assistant routine I painstakingly made that simply chimes every half hour is surprisingly helpful
5 Likes

(very happy that other people enjoy my ramblings here! :)

1. i’m grateful that today was a good day.
  2. i’m grateful that i felt well enough today to also vacuum under the couch, which was much needed! (self-gratitude quota; i’ll try to sprinkle one in each day from now on, as per @alys’ suggestion in advent calendar 2022: 02. beeminding gratitude—if i don’t forget, that is. i’ll try not to forget, at least XD)
  3. i’m grateful that i ended up calling the bank today to sort out my weird card issue. i’m very grateful that the service person was super friendly and helpful. very happy that i have a dropout subscription again! and that nothing was wrong with my card, i had apparently just mistyped once, which blocked me from that specific transaction, but not others … (i could successfully use the card on other things.) very weird, but don’t really care anymore, since it’s fixed! :D
7 Likes
  1. @enbee for reminding me that I wanted to start being grateful for things about me.
  2. Me for creating the Advent Calendar series. I keep referring back to it for details that I have only a vague memory of. I was not expecting that when I started the series.
  3. I left a shopping bag on a bus seat but a kind fellow-passenger pointed it out to me.
7 Likes
  1. Amazing “tasting menu” dinner last night - as good a meal as I can remember
  2. For the lovely hotel stay
  3. Aysgarth Falls was brilliant!
5 Likes
  1. A sweet message from my Postcrossing bosses.
  2. Lisa picked up some more Ferrero Rochers for me.
  3. It’s Friday!
5 Likes
  1. My brother is interested in watching an MIT OCW course lecture together every week.
  2. That as long as personally meaningful things are well in the mix, I actually feel pretty good when I have a ton of work to do.
  3. Our Zojirushi hot water dispenser makes tea and other hot drinks a lot less time consuming/distracting to make on busy days.
5 Likes

(super tired and on my way to bed uncharacteristically early, but somehow i still don’t want to loose my 3-day-streak here xD)

1. self-gratitude quota: i’m grateful that i managed to go to work earlier than usual today, which allowed me to not have to stay there ridiculously long (although it was still very long^^).
  2. i’m also very grateful (and, to be honest, also very proud!) that i managed to get through work with much more focus and much less procrastination than usual, despite not getting much sleep last night. go me for adulting well enough under the circumstances‽
  3. i’m very grateful for ending the day/work week on a fun and chill note: watched isle of dogs with my flatmate. an incredibly fun and touching film, i can very much recommend!
5 Likes
  1. If I watch a YouTube video in Readwise’s Reader app or website, it remembers the position I’m up to! I can swap between devices or pick up watching it on a later day, without losing my place.
  2. Carrot and cheese. I think they go well together, especially if grated and mixed.
  3. I’m grateful that I spent time improving my daily routine script so that I can more easily integrate my due-today tasks into it. It’s helped with getting things done in an appropriate order.
6 Likes

And the “follow along with transcript”! Ahhh! I spent probably half my time online in Reader now!

5 Likes
  1. My wife and I just got back from a lovely snow-sports trip and at the same time it’s lovely to be back home for a few weeks!
  2. This community is amazing and seeing people posting here and chatting in the discord sparks some serious joy!
  3. Self-gratitude quota: I’m so thankful that past-me started pushing for keeping up with friends better. It’s made a marked improvement in my life! I have to cheat a little and spill some of the gratitude over to @enbee for making me think about self-gratitude points, Beeminder for helping me stick with keeping up with people, and @poisson for being one such friend and also part of the community and also maybe if I ping him here he’ll start posting here too :slight_smile:
6 Likes
  1. I woke up early and decided to just go for it, dream dream go go
  2. Old friend sending me messages about a crazy AI-music project he started.
  3. I’m still a bit scared about the Complice Goal-crafting Intensive (CGI) but I did not cancel and still gone through most of the pre-event stuff.
7 Likes
  1. Chocolate for breakfast. A bad idea, and yet, so tasty once in a while.
  2. One of my friends should be back online and in game this weekend, after a catastrophic fail of his PC setup last week. (It’s fluid-cooled, and a tube broke…)
  3. Being in a reading mood.
6 Likes
  1. our current temporary accommodation is very nice (part of a converted chapel)
  2. went to Ikea and came up with some storage solutions for new house
  3. baked potato for dinner!
6 Likes
  1. I trimmed my trees and bushes that were impinging over the footpaths, and was rewarded with short pleasant chats from people who were passing.
  2. Last night Jeremy and I shared some luxury biscuits and a bottle of wine while watching TV.
  3. More people posting here. It’s lovely to read their updates.
7 Likes
  1. self-gratitude quota: i’m grateful for my past self for making a garmin intensity minutes goal, and grateful for my today self for working towards it actively. i didn’t succeed, because apparently i didn’t have the proper heart rate for at least 10 consecutive minutes (old garmin device), but i actively tried (and it definitely was more than 10 minutes in my book, but whatever). that’s more than i have done in a long time.
  2. i’m grateful that the prospect of derailing this (or, any, really) beeminder goal is stressing me out enough that i made real effort to keep that from happening. even if i looked ridiculous. even if it didn’t work today. (well, progress didn’t work. there’s still time to do stuff to not derail, so finger’s crossed for tomorrow i guess!)
  3. i’m very grateful for discovering a fun new activity with friends today: painting pottery. i had so much fun! (even if it was a bit stressful because time went by so fast.) i’m so excited to see how my piece will turn out!
6 Likes
  1. Devoured a book more or less whole.
  2. People accepting it and not arguing when I point out something was transphobic.
  3. The FFXIV: Endwalker soundtrack is so clever. I’m always finding new motifs in the music (like I just spotted part of the “Endwalker” tune in “Carrots of Happiness”, in a different key and sped up).
7 Likes